so... many... OCTs...

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
annis
Textkit Zealot

so... many... OCTs...

Post by annis »

I was at Madison's ὀχ’ ἄριστον καπηλείων τῶν βιβλίων today, "Paul's Books."

Someone earlier in the day delivered to them two boxes of classics texts. One of them was full of OCTs. I didn't need any of those (which came as a shock), so instead I got some school editions of some plays ("The Frogs" and "Alcestis"), and an interesting edition of Greek Lyric Poets from the 40s, by J.A. Moore.

The most beautiful, but probably least useful, acquisition is the second volume of an edition of Herodotus. From 1818. For a staggering $15. Amazing. I didn't really need this, since I already have a perfectly fine and complete Herodotus. In any case, printed in the UK, I think Glasgow (Glasguae?). Not too much foxing, no writing in it. It uses the freaky Italian font (with the eye-glasses beta).
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

did you make sure that none of the octs were different editions of the texts to the ones you had? are the school editions the macmillan ones? i think merry did a little one of those - i presume it isn't dover's tour de force? i have moore's lyric poets work (though a different ed.n) and he does have some fine comments to make, though i ought to study it more closely.
the herod. sounds v interesting - shame it's just the latter volume. is it perhaps gaisford's edition? i didn't know of one through a glaswegian publishing house at that time.
nice picks though!

~d

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

whiteoctave wrote:did you make sure that none of the octs were different editions of the texts to the ones you had?
For those I cared about, yes.
are the school editions the macmillan ones? i think merry did a little one of those - i presume it isn't dover's tour de force?
It is the Merry, marred unfortunately by marginalia in pen.

The Alecestis is the MacMillan by Bayfield. I love these little books - easy to pocket, with good notes and vocabulary. I have the giant Dale for when I'm close to all my Tools.
i have moore's lyric poets work (though a different ed.n) and he does have some fine comments to make, though i ought to study it more closely.
I also have Smyth's older work, and Campbell, but I find having several commentaries around is helpful when confronted with, say, Ibycus.
the herod. sounds v interesting - shame it's just the latter volume. is it perhaps gaisford's edition? i didn't know of one through a glaswegian publishing house at that time.
TEXTUS
Johannis Schweighaeuseri,
(long stream of titles)
cui adjectae sunt,

Editionum Schweighaeuseri, Reizii & Schaeferi,
et Wesselingi,
Lectiones Variationes Omnes.

excudebant Andreas et Jacobus Duncan,
Academiae Typographi.
Veneunt apud Ricardum Priestley,
Londini.

I forgot to mention, I also found Sidgwick's "Greek Prose Composition" for $6, bringing to four the number of prose comp. books I have.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Hehehe, I feel like shocking all you book lovers.... :twisted: should I? I think I will... brb Edit: brb much later... seems like t-online just doesn't want to upload my pics to its server :evil:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Hehehe, all I needed to do was complain! My pics have uploaded now:
marred unfortunately by marginalia in pen.
:twisted: I don't think anyone would want to buy my books...

and

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Emma_85 wrote:I don't think anyone would want to buy my books...
:cry:

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

I do the same thing to my notes....but I don't usually do it to my books! A lot of times I photocopy a passage that I intend to work through and write lexical/syntactical notes.....but to the text itself OUCH!!!!

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Sometimes writing/drawings add to the book, in my opinion. I've got a 1856 grammar, with some caricatures drawn by probably the original owner, in the style of that time. Obviously, the boy thought latin was boring, but I love those pictures (i've got no homepage active to put them on now, maybe after the holidays).

Ingrid

[/img]

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Kopio wrote:I do the same thing to my notes....but I don't usually do it to my books! A lot of times I photocopy a passage that I intend to work through and write lexical/syntactical notes.....
I take a more hardcore approach.

I write everything out by hand. Every commented poem which appears on Aoidoi is written out in a notebook, surrounded on all sides by notes. The Minckwitz reading group got its own notebook, and I've written out the entirety of Odyssey 12 as a result (I'm a bit ahead on copying). The text is on the left page, the notes on the facing right page.

I think it helps me to know the text better. It also explains my obsession with the Perfect Pen and the Perfect Notebook Paper.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I write everything out by hand.

:shock:

I can just imagine my teacher : Emma, what on earth are you doing? Don't copy the text - translate it! If you need to make notes, then use the book to write them in, that's what it's there for...
:wink:
But those notes can be very, very valuable. One guy in my Greek major class has an older sister, who also took Greek major at my school ages ago. So he's using her books, which are conveniently commented for him. So whenever my teacher asks us what some strange form is, or who this half-goddess is, or what's special about the meter, he can always answer correctly, cause his sister was good at Greek and good at scribbling in her books too.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I've just got an idea about my notes on Chase and Phillips. (From time to time I regret my stupid choices, yeah). I've done my notes only with a pencil. So I think I'll preserve the notes with a photocopy and erase it from the book itself. 8)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Should not be too much of a problem to erase pencil... blue ink is very easy to get rid of too (so if any of you have any books that some jerk like myself has scribble full of comments in blue ink you can always buy an eraser pen (type in bule+ink+eraser+pen in google if they don't sell them in any shops nearby, I'm sure you'll find them on the internet). They cost between 20 cent and 1 euro here, depending on the size of the tip and the quality of the eraser pen. Just thought I'd mention it... :wink:
Ah... but if someone used green ink in their fountain pen... :lol:

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

Ah, but rubbing out huge numbers of pencil marginalia really damages the paper...

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Depending on which kind of rubber you use. Those art-rubbers are really good, they don't damage paper at all. Uh... you know... those rubbers you can from into any shape you want, a bit like playdough, but the best thing about them is that they don't actually rub off, you aren't left with any annoying bits of soft, black rubber on your paper and they don't damage the page at all.

Edit: if you used a hard pencil (H, 2H, 3H and so on) then of course the pencil itself might have damaged the paper