Difference between 'μετὰ' and 'σύν' - EtG translation

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Wishfulcrystal
Textkit Neophyte

Difference between 'μετὰ' and 'σύν' - EtG translation

Post by Wishfulcrystal »

Mastronarde's Introduction to Attic Greek, unit 9, exercise section III, #1.

The sentence (in English) is: With friends it is easy to endure evils.
Mastronarde's answer key translates it as: μετὰ τῶν φίλων ῥᾴδιον κακὰ φέρειν.
I translated it as (with proper accentuation and diacritics on-paper): Συν τοις φιλοις ραδιον κακα φερειν .

Two questions: (1) Is my translation workable? (2) Is there some other difference between the two in meaning? Does one emphasize a relation more than the other, or something like that?

When I was still using H&Q, I learned that σύν is a dative preposition of accompaniement, and I learned that μετὰ has the sense of accompaniement, but is genitive.

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Re: Difference between 'μετὰ' and 'σύν' - EtG translation

Post by Hylander »

Your translation wasn't really wrong: the two prepositions are very close, and in fact συν + dative eventually displaced μετα + genitive. I think μετα + genitive would be closer to "in the company of" or "in the midst of" or perhaps "surrounded by", which would probably better fit the sentence to be translated. συν would maybe be closer to "with the help of". But that's just my intuition.

Here are links to the entries for these words in the Liddell Scott Jones lexicon, which gives the full range of meanings for both words:

συν:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... y%3Dsu%2Fn

μετα:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... %3Dmeta%2F
Bill Walderman

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée »

Hylander wrote:in fact συν + dative eventually displaced μετα + genitive.
Shouldn’t this be exactly the other way around? The LS s.u. μετά:
with gen. (in which use μετά gradually superseded σύν, q.u.)
The LS s.u. σύν:
The prep. σύν gradually gave way to μετά with gen.
Cf. Modern Greek με ‘with’.

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

Shouldn’t this be exactly the other way around?
Yes, you're right. Sorry.
The signs read: ΤΑΧΥΤΗΤΑ ΕΞΕΤΑΖΕΤΑΙ ΜΕ ΡΑΔΑΡ, but the taxi driver assured me that the radar doesn't work.
Bill Walderman

ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

Post by ἑκηβόλος »

Wishfulcrystal wrote:The sentence (in English) is: With friends it is easy to endure evils.
Mastronarde's answer key translates it as: μετὰ τῶν φίλων ῥᾴδιον κακὰ φέρειν.
I translated it as (with proper accentuation and diacritics on-paper): Συν τοις φιλοις ραδιον κακα φερειν .

Two questions: (1) Is my translation workable?
Yes. If you had written μετὰ τοὺς φίλους instead, that would have been wrong.
τί δὲ ἀγαθὸν τῇ πομφόλυγι συνεστώσῃ ἢ κακὸν διαλυθείσῃ;

ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

Post by ἑκηβόλος »

Hylander wrote:
Shouldn’t this be exactly the other way around?
Yes, you're right. Sorry.
The signs read: ΤΑΧΥΤΗΤΑ ΕΞΕΤΑΖΕΤΑΙ ΜΕ ΡΑΔΑΡ, but the taxi driver assured me that the radar doesn't work.
μετά + genitive is preserved in some set (formal) phrases.

Interestingly, the preposition μετά + accusative with the meaning "after", or "beyond" has expanded in Modern Greek, with its use as an adverb becoming much more common than we see in earlier times, and now even as a conjunction.

As prefixed morphological units, συν- and μετα- are both still found extensively in Modern Greek. Despite that it is much reduced in its range of usages as an individual word (preposition), it is still found in the senses of togetherness, giving help to another, cooperation, etc. Likewise in the inherited word stock, μετα- retains the range of senses of change, repetition, sharing, etc. There don't appear to be striking surprises in those prefixed element patterns of usage for somebody with a classical background encountering Modern Greek.
τί δὲ ἀγαθὸν τῇ πομφόλυγι συνεστώσῃ ἢ κακὸν διαλυθείσῃ;