Adjective endings

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Adjective endings

Post by Milito »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=267;start=30#1677 date=1058736492]<br /><br />I haven't learned "eörum" yet. And I haven't really learned verbs yet.<br /><br />[/quote]<br />You'll get there with the verbs, and you're doing fine!<br /><br />eorum - means "of them" = theirs.<br /><br />It's part of the is/ea/id pronoun that got growled about a while back.<br /><br />If you've got to the 2nd declension nouns yet, you'll see that the feminine endings (for 1st declension) for plural genitive are "arum", while masculine/neuter (2nd declension) plural genitive endings are "orum". The arum/orum thing is a bit of a dead give-away that you're looking at some sort of plural genitive.<br /><br />Does this help?<br /><br />Kilmeny

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=267;start=30#1677 date=1058736492]<br /><br />I haven't learned "eörum" yet. And I haven't really learned verbs yet.<br /><br />[/quote]<br />You'll get there with the verbs, and you're doing fine!<br /><br />eorum - means "of them" = theirs.<br /><br />It's part of the is/ea/id pronoun that got growled about a while back.<br /><br />If you've got to the 2nd declension nouns yet, you'll see that the feminine endings (for 1st declension) for plural genitive are "arum", while masculine/neuter (2nd declension) plural genitive endings are "orum". The arum/orum thing is a bit of a dead give-away that you're looking at some sort of plural genitive.<br /><br />Does this help?<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I knew the accent grave, just this ã ??? qui est ça?!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=30#1717 date=1058801756]<br />I knew the accent grave, just this ã ??? qui est ça?!<br />[/quote]<br />I think it's just called a "tilde". I could only get it on the letters a and o. Do you know how to get the tilde on e, i, and u?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

putõ nõn esse

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Milito wrote:<br />eorum - means "of them" = theirs.
<br /><br />Then "liberös eörum necäbam" = I killed their children.<br /><br />Oh boy, is, ea, and id ... more stuff to look forward to.<br />
<br />The arum/orum thing is a bit of a dead give-away that you're looking at some sort of plural genitive.
<br /><br />Ooooooh.... I like that! :) I hadn't caught on to that little detail yet.<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=30#1735 date=1058810998]<br />putõ nõn esse [/quote]<br /><br />I'm gussing that means : I don't exist to think.<br /><br />Am I correct?<br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I don't think to be... I assume he implies "I don't think (it) to be/exist". Good try, it takes a lot of imagination to figure out what Episcopus is saying sometimes ;D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Phrase in question : putõ nõn esse <br /><br />I guessed : I don't exist to think<br /><br />[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=45#1748 date=1058832847]<br />I don't think to be... I assume he implies "I don't think (it) to be/exist". Good try, it takes a lot of imagination to figure out what Episcopus is saying sometimes ;D<br />[/quote]<br />I'm trying to understand the sentence. I thought that nön negates the verb that immediates follows it. Thus, nön esse would mean "not to be" or "not to exist". How do you apply nön to the verb püto? This is definitely adding a challenge in knowing what nön is supposed to apply to.<br /><br />Confused as usual...

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

This is because of a quirk of English. Think about it, if you say "I don't think it exists" what is actually being negated, the thought or the existence?<br /><br />Latin, being nice and logical, puts the negation where it really belongs -- with the existence. If I remember rightly, Greek is similar to English and puts the negation with the thinking (though I'm open to correction on this).

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=267;start=45#1762 date=1058849158]<br />This is because of a quirk of English. Think about it, if you say "I don't think it exists" what is actually being negated, the thought or the existence?<br /><br />Latin, being nice and logical, puts the negation where it really belongs -- with the existence.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I guess it's the existence that is being negated. It's becoming less fuzzy now.<br /><br />I just realized I misread putö. I should have translated that word to "I think". So literally the phrase reads, "I think not exist." And now I understand how the phrase means "I don't think it exists".<br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Sorry!<br /><br />I think "puto id non esse" is clearer!<br /><br />That's what I implied Cogitem! labõrãs cum magnã dilgentiã!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Episcopus wrote:<br />I think "puto id non esse" is clearer!
<br /><br />So this is litterally : I think it doesn't exist. ?<br />
That's what I implied Cogitem! labõrãs cum magnã dilgentiã!
<br /><br />I'm guessing : I would think. You work with a lot of diligence.<br /><br /> Cogitem! = I would think<br /> laböräs = you work (labäre)<br /> cum = with<br /> magnä = big (ABL)<br /> dïligentiä = diligence (ABL)<br /><br />Temptö! Latinus dificilis est! Discö tardë. Sorry, I have to work through all the parts when I'm trying to translate Latin.<br /><br />Is the word for Latin language "latinus" or "latina"? It shows up as both masc & fem in my dictionary. Or maybe I'm reading it all wrong.<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Latinus is properly an adjective. I think the preferred way of saying it would be lingua Latina, but if you mean "in Latin," as in "We speak in Latin," then you would use Latine(Latinly).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />In that case, what I should have written was this : Lingua Latina difficillis est. So does this mean there doesn't exist a noun form for Latin? How strange...<br /><br />Latine loquï = to speak Latin.<br /><br />I couldn't figure out how to conjugate loquï, to say "we speak". It doesn't fall under any of Milito's 5 tests. Loquï must be one of those oddball exceptions to the rule?<br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

loquor loqui locutus is what is called a deponent verb. This means that its form is always passive, but its (English) meaning is always active.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=267;start=45#1845 date=1058924901]<br />loquor loqui locutus is what is called a deponent verb. This means that its form is always passive, but its (English) meaning is always active. <br />[/quote]<br />OK, I've got a long ways to go until I learn about Deponent Verbs. I found it on Pg146 in BLD. So as I understand it, it is conjugated only in the Passive. So would loqui be conjugated like the passive form of 3rd Conj Verbs?<br /><br />loquor, loqueris, loquitur, loquimur, loquiminï, loquuntur ???<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Yup! loqui is indeed a third conjugation verb. You conjugate it the same as a passive form of a typical verb.<br /><br />Also, I have seen the word Latina used to name the Latin language (lingua Latina), but never by a reputable source. This form implies the word lingua because of the feminine ending, but I think most people would know what you meant.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=45#1850 date=1058928905]<br />Also, I have seen the word Latina used to name the Latin language (lingua Latina), but never by a reputable source. This form implies the word lingua because of the feminine ending, but I think most people would know what you meant.[/quote]<br /><br /><br />I will try to remember it as "lingua latina" as praeponiö discere linguam latinam idöneam.<br /><br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=267;start=45#1843 date=1058921533]<br /><br /><br />I couldn't figure out how to conjugate loquï, to say "we speak". It doesn't fall under any of Milito's 5 tests. Loquï must be one of those oddball exceptions to the rule?<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />.... sorry.... I thought about mentioning deponents, but figured it would be needlessly complicating matters.... Ah well..... But Benissimus explained it very well, thus bailing me out.....<br /><br />On the lack of noun for "Latin".... If you think about it, we (in English) are very sloppy with our use of the linguistic names. When we say "I speak English", we MEAN "I speak the English language", and if I were to say "I am English", I would a) be lying, since I'm Canadian, and b) really MEAN "I am a person who speaks the English language." English is by nature a very sloppy language, which is why it has such a lot of exceptions and miserable grammar rules. We who speak it do try to take the shortest route to comprehension, which is why we tend to put bits and pieces together to "create" new words now and again to get a point across. On the other hand, Latin is much more precise, so things are much more clearly delineated.......<br /><br />Okay, I'll get off the soapbox now..... It's a subject that happens to interest me.................<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

right on you silly american trucker! english is a pile of **** deteriorating schnitt; being eaten by the flies that are retards and mobile phone messages. i lik ltn alt cz itz kl cmn 2 da clb 2nite slee trka

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=60#1915 date=1059064002]i lik ltn alt cz itz kl cmn 2 da clb 2nite slee trka<br />[/quote]<br /><br />The frightening thing is that I think I understood that.............<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

however I have come to accept it...and although I abstain from writing text messages - I detest them - I like to "mock", or rather have my own fun with weaknesses of english. <br /><br />The best 'dialect' has to be that of rappers - and snoop d-o-double-gizzle has even made his own noun and adj endings :o 'izzle' when it feels o-kizzle...<br /><br />i'm sure you to have heard of 'for shizzle my nizzle...' :-\<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

O Episcope, you are bizarre 8)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Milito link=board=3;threadid=267;start=45#1910 date=1059059191]<br />On the lack of noun for "Latin".... If you think about it, we (in English) are very sloppy with our use of the linguistic names.[/quote]<br /><br />I never thought of it that way. So we really should be saying "I speak the English language" but we're just too lazy to do that.<br /><br />I can't imagine saying "I'm English" to mean I'm someone who speaks English. I would say "I'm American", and I would think you would be able to say "I'm Canadian" and people should be able to figure out that you speak English or French. :) <br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Milito link=board=3;threadid=267;start=60#1922 date=1059079464]<br />[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=60#1915 date=1059064002]i lik ltn alt cz itz kl cmn 2 da clb 2nite slee trka<br />[/quote]<br /><br />The frightening thing is that I think I understood that.............<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Me too! Now what does that say about us? Hmmm.... !!!! <br /><br />Epis: You should send such mesgs to your buddies over the phone/pager in Latin. ;D <br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Hehe, Latin would make messages shorter without making you look like an illiterate :D

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

[quote author=Milito link=board=3;threadid=267;start=45#1910 date=1059059191]<br /><br />On the lack of noun for "Latin".... If you think about it, we (in English) are very sloppy with our use of the linguistic names. When we say "I speak English", we MEAN "I speak the English language", and if I were to say "I am English", I would a) be lying, since I'm Canadian, and b) really MEAN "I am a person who speaks the English language." English is by nature a very sloppy language, which is why it has such a lot of exceptions and miserable grammar rules. We who speak it do try to take the shortest route to comprehension, which is why we tend to put bits and pieces together to "create" new words now and again to get a point across. On the other hand, Latin is much more precise, so things are much more clearly delineated.......<br /><br />Okay, I'll get off the soapbox now..... It's a subject that happens to interest me.................<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />[/quote]<br /><br />We're not sloppy at all (well all right some people are, but no doubt the average Tomus, Ricardus, et Haroldus used language that made Cicero cringe). Just because Latin needs to say lingua latina loquor, doesn't mean English has to say I speak the English language. Unfortunately, the grammar we use to talk about English was originally used for Latin -- a completely different language. Just as our spelling is a terrible mess partly because we use an alphabet designed for Latin rather than one designed for English, which has a lot more sounds (about 40 I think), so grammar lessons are difficult because we're using a tool designed to do something else. [/rant]

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=60#1941 date=1059098158]<br />Hehe, Latin would make messages shorter without making you look like an illiterate :D<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I agrizzle!! so much shorter...eg copiis rõmãnis nocebantur<br />=the roman abundances were being harmed ;D<br />some one make a latin sentence out of an english one, try to quarter it ::) <br /><br />anyhizzle, multi equizzles ad magna opidizzle copiizzle frumentizzle portant. <br />multãs feminizzles mulcebizzle quia pulchrizzle erizzle.<br /><br />=neo latin<br /><br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=267;start=60#1949 date=1059106232]<br /><br />We're not sloppy at all (well all right some people are, but no doubt the average Tomus, Ricardus, et Haroldus used language that made Cicero cringe). Just because Latin needs to say lingua latina loquor, doesn't mean English has to say I speak the English language. Unfortunately, the grammar we use to talk about English was originally used for Latin -- a completely different language. Just as our spelling is a terrible mess partly because we use an alphabet designed for Latin rather than one designed for English, which has a lot more sounds (about 40 I think), so grammar lessons are difficult because we're using a tool designed to do something else. [/rant]<br />[/quote]<br /><br />You're correct - we don't **have** to say "I speak the English language" to be correct these days. But nevertheless, it's what we mean when we say "I speak English"! :)<br /><br />A large part of the difficulty with the Spelling of English also stems from the Invention of the Dictionary, which standardized spelling, at a time when a lot of those extraneous sounds in so many words were still being pronounced - eg: "Daughter" didn't then sound like "dotter", but more like the result of a collision between "docter" and "dogger"..........<br /><br />I suppose I should de-generalize the comment on "sloppy" - though I did get a kick out of "Tomus, Richardus et Haroldus", and you're probably right about Cicero cringing - by saying that what we're speaking now would have been considered incredibly sloppy, so far as grammar goes, 200 years ago, and our pronounciation completely alien. That's what makes English a living language - not only does it keep swallowing up other languages' words whole, like some linguistic black whole, but it keeps changing its own grammar and accepted rules of word usage and pronounciation even over ten-year spans. It also has developed its own little occupational sub-dialogs.... (which I would have had to spell "dialogues" not long ago....) It's truly amazing to watch it (so to speak...) morph before your eyes (ears?) even while you watch it change in ways you may wish it had avoided. Or, anyway, I find it so................ But as observed before, I'm a little weird myself.......<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Well I said truck english after having heard that the conditional perfect could be used in the first part of 'if' clauses and stuff...and it's now standard...some authors use it...<br /><br />id est 'if i would have left my mother alone, i would have stayed home' <br />

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

Episcopus:<br />Well I said truck english after having heard that the conditional perfect could be used in the first part of 'if' clauses and stuff...and it's now standard...some authors use it...<br /><br />id est 'if i would have left my mother alone, i would have stayed home' <br /><br /><br />Hmmm.... And I thought I came up with some strange examples.<br /><br />"Interesting" comment with your picture. Maybe the Greek is a disclaimer? I haven't studied Greek -- ancient or modern.<br /><br />Cool sequencing of pictures with text! I'd like to learn how to do that.<br /><br />Magistra<br /><br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

In paint shop pro make 10 images of the same size, then mess about in animation shop...I had no idea but I finally did it - glad you appreciate it ;D<br /><br />Is the grammar in the comment alright? <br /><br />I know no greek but the alphabet basically so I just wrote Episkopos est malus

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

Oh well... I don't have paint shop pro (or anything close). Thanks anyway.<br /><br />"Is the grammar content all right?"<br /><br /> I believe so. The content, well ......? What is it you're really trying to say?<br /><br />Magistra<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=267;start=60#2164 date=1059479779]<br />In paint shop pro make 10 images of the same size, then mess about in animation shop... [/quote]<br /><br />That's really neat. I don't have Paint Shop Pro but I do have Photoshop 7 I think, I should go look, I haven't actually installed it yet. I wonder if I can do something similar with Photoshop. Would you happen to know?<br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Well, just ... acquire Paintshop Pro 7 and Animation Shop from the ... Computer Store...<br /><br />Ah...in house on own...Episcopus malus praedam vocat