$ 69. Sentence 3.

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
paulus
Textkit Neophyte

$ 69. Sentence 3.

Post by paulus »

Hello everyone. Please help me with this doubt. In $ 69. there are some sentences to be translated. #3 states that "Quis lātā in silvā habitat?" The Key states that the translation should be "Who lives in the wide forest?". I agree, but I wonder how do we should say ""Who lives far in the forest?"" in Latin. Thank you.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: $ 69. Sentence 3.

Post by bedwere »

Quis procul in silva habitat?

paulus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by paulus »

Thank you, bedwere, very much indeed.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Wouldn't procul just mean far away, a long way off? far in the forest penitus in silva?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

mwh wrote:Wouldn't procul just mean far away, a long way off? far in the forest penitus in silva?
Maybe penitus is better. For procul L&S has Vergil's: est procul in pelago saxum (5.124)

which is translated by Theodore C. Williams as

far out at sea
rises a rock,

So penitus seems to be more accurate to indicate that he lives well within the forest, but the forest is not necessarily very distant from you. While if you use procul, it means that he lives far away from you and that he happens to be in a forest (where in the forest, it is not specified).

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée »

One option that came to my mind is in umbra. It occurred to me thinking the most idiomatic ways of expressing the thought in my native language. It is a slightly poetic expression. The underlying idea is of course that when one is deep in the forest, the shadow is also quite strong, as opposed to when one is on the fringes of the forest.

truks
Textkit Member

Post by truks »

I found a reference in Frontinus' Stratagems to (regressus) in profunda silvarum. So perhaps in profundis silvarum/silvae?