Interest in GREEK: AN INTENSIVE COURSE

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Interest in GREEK: AN INTENSIVE COURSE

Post by jaihare »

I'm restarting a group for Greek: An Intensive Course by Hansen and Quinn.

Anyone interested in joining? It's a difficult, fast-paced textbook. Great for a thorough review or a quick drive into more advanced Greek texts and grammatical structures.

If you've got time for an intensive study of Greek, please let me know. I can get a temporary electronic version of the text to you until you're able to get a copy for yourself. (My copy cost me $48 plus tax at Barnes & Noble.)

Yours,
Jason

Manuel
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Interest in GREEK: AN INTENSIVE COURSE

Post by Manuel »

I'd be up for it since I could use the practice. I was planning to buy a copy anyway.

phenomenal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by phenomenal »

Consider me in the group! I have purchased the book from Amazon and am currently having it shipped.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Manuel wrote:I'd be up for it since I could use the practice. I was planning to buy a copy anyway.
Excellent. Can you send me an email?
jason[at]thehebrewcafe[dot]com

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

We currently have a group of eight. That's a good and fast response. Hopefully we'll get started by next week.

Manuel, have you sent me a mail? I don't know if you might be using a different name on your mail.

phenomenal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by phenomenal »

I emailed you about my interest of joining this group you are assembling. I recently just purchased this book from Amazon and as of right now it is shipping.

While I am an utter novice in both Greek and Latin I still do have an immensely tenacious ambition.

Hope I can join!

John

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

I now have a list of eleven participants.

If you want to join, this is the time. I'll be starting the group up next week.

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

"Intensive" seems an accurate description of this course. I just opened my not-yet-read copy and am rather intimidated.

Can we "audit' the class? :)

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

demetri wrote:"Intensive" seems an accurate description of this course. I just opened my not-yet-read copy and am rather intimidated.

Can we "audit' the class? :)
No credit given!! It's all audit only. :)

Come join in. It's intimidating, but it's gonna be GOOD!!

Archer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Archer »

jaihare wrote:I now have a list of eleven participants.

If you want to join, this is the time. I'll be starting the group up next week.
Count me in, jaihare. I have the text and I'm ready to roll.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

I'm really impressed by the group we've put together. We have fourteen participants all signed up. Great!

markscala
Textkit Neophyte

Post by markscala »

I'd be interested in this. I have a copy of the book, and am currently working through the JACT course on my own. If it's not too late to join, could you give some idea of how the group will work and of the pace?

derfner
Textkit Neophyte

Post by derfner »

Hey, there—any chance I could still join this group? I started a few weeks ago and am working on the drills for Unit 5 now.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

derfner wrote:Hey, there—any chance I could still join this group? I started a few weeks ago and am working on the drills for Unit 5 now.
Sure. This week we're doing the first self-correcting exercise after the review for units 1-3. Send me an email for more information. It's in my signature.

Tournesol
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Tournesol »

I'm very interested in joining the group, and I don't mind jumping in at any point.
Thanks for your attention.
Ἡλιοτρόπιον

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Tournesol wrote:I'm very interested in joining the group, and I don't mind jumping in at any point.
Thanks for your attention.
Sorry that I never noticed your response. Are you still interested in studying this textbook? I've got a new two-person group going, and we're in Unit 5 this week. We're meeting on Skype tomorrow morning.

jondesousa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jondesousa »

Hi Jason,

I'd also be happy in joining a group when a new one is starting. My Latin is okay but Greek is essentially non-existent. I have both Athenaze and Greek: An Intensive Course books but haven't started either of them yet. If you have a new group for either course starting soon I'd love to join. I may not be the best of students since I have essentially no Greek background but I'm game for a great learning experience!

Thanks, Jon

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

jondesousa wrote:Hi Jason,

I'd also be happy in joining a group when a new one is starting. My Latin is okay but Greek is essentially non-existent. I have both Athenaze and Greek: An Intensive Course books but haven't started either of them yet. If you have a new group for either course starting soon I'd love to join. I may not be the best of students since I have essentially no Greek background but I'm game for a great learning experience!

Thanks, Jon
Jon,

The thing is that I had forgotten about this thread (since it was so long ago), and I started a new group about a month ago with just one other person. We're on unit 5 at this point, which is a LOT of material for a beginner to cover while trying to do catch up. I'll notify this thread if/when I start a new group. Are you following the thread? I'm hoping that the guy I'm working with is good enough at keeping me motivated to finish the text this time. We're set to finish in April if we keep up the pace.

Tournesol
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Tournesol »

Let me know when you restart. Thanks
Ἡλιοτρόπιον

frenchp
Textkit Neophyte

Post by frenchp »

Hi, I would love to work together with a partner on Greek: An Intensive Course. I own the book. I worked through the first chapters some good while back, but I would need to start from the beginning at this point. Let me know if you're interested.

cnyttan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cnyttan »

frenchp wrote:Hi, I would love to work together with a partner on Greek: An Intensive Course. I own the book. I worked through the first chapters some good while back, but I would need to start from the beginning at this point. Let me know if you're interested.
I'm interested! I've got a copy of the book and was planning to use that along with the Prof. Leonard Muellner's YouTube channel. I just started a few days ago so I'm still on Unit 1.

frenchp
Textkit Neophyte

Post by frenchp »

to "CNYTTAN" Well, sounds like we have a plan. I'll go get the book off my shelf.

Now...just practical, we probably need a way to share/communicate outside the forum. I guess sharing email address? Or how should we go about it?

So I'll get started. Then let me know how we should best proceed.

I'm excited!

cnyttan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cnyttan »

frenchp wrote:to "CNYTTAN" Well, sounds like we have a plan. I'll go get the book off my shelf.

Now...just practical, we probably need a way to share/communicate outside the forum. I guess sharing email address? Or how should we go about it?

So I'll get started. Then let me know how we should best proceed.

I'm excited!
Great! I pm'd you.

frenchp
Textkit Neophyte

Post by frenchp »

I didn't seem to get any pm from you...so I sent you one. Let's hope it works!

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

frenchp wrote:I didn't seem to get any pm from you...so I sent you one. Let's hope it works!
How's it going for you two?