Salve

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Odysseus
Textkit Neophyte

Salve

Post by Odysseus »

Hi all, just thought I'd introduce myself. I've just started my third week at a six week Latin paper at Victoria University in New Zealand. Finding it really interesting so far - certainly lots to learn. Looking forward to the stage when a can rip an old text open and start getting a decent gist of it - maybe in a few more months :)<br /><br />Is anyone else here at a similar stage of their learning?

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Salve

Post by Milito »

I may be at about the same place.... I just finished a fourth semester of Latin from University of Waterloo in Ontario. But since I did them via correspondence, I find my vocab and grammar are a tad rusty. (Did the first two courses in 92/93, the next in 94, and then this one.....) We plowed through Vergil's Aeneid, Book 1, and I'm now working through Cicero's De Officiis on my own. It is **very** slow going, but I'm slowly speeding up.....

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Post by Elucubrator »

Heu Odysseus!<br /><br />So that's where the currents finally took you, half way around the world from Greece to Wellington, New Zealand. I've been looking for you ever since you left; glad to know where you are!<br /><br />Hope to find you again soon,<br /><br />Polyphemos 8) <br /><br />(it's the closest thing I could find to a smiley with a dark patch over a single eye)<br /><br /><br /><br />Milito, <br /><br />aaaahhh, the joys, the pleasure of reading slowly and carefully! What better to do with one's otium than to read and think about what one is reading. :)

12345d678
Textkit Neophyte

Post by 12345d678 »

Hi,all. Just glad to find a good place for my latin learning .<br />I find it difficult to learn latin esp.that i just couldn`t find something as my textbook,as I am Chinese ,so I have to learn latin through Internet (as a beginging).Yet for all this <br />I find latin learning is very interesting ,and so has attracted me much.Well,let`s study together and I wish that some day I can understand in latin.

ricelius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ricelius »

12345d678 wrote:Hi,all. Just glad to find a good place for my latin learning .<br />I find it difficult to learn latin esp.that i just couldn`t find something as my textbook,as I am Chinese ,so I have to learn latin through Internet (as a beginging).Yet for all this <br />I find latin learning is very interesting ,and so has attracted me much.Well,let`s study together and I wish that some day I can understand in latin.
Interest is the most important thing... Though it may be easier for you to learn with a Chinese system? I don't know how widespread the study of Latin is in China, though. But if you have any questions, I'll do my best to help.

Incognito
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Incognito »

Hi Ody!
I am going to be a lawyer and I just found out that the most aluent lawyers know latin pretty fluently because there are alot of Latin Terms used in Law cases. I will be able to totally throw myself into Latin and French when summer school in about 2 weeks.