what does the word ecce mean?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
spice
Textkit Neophyte

what does the word ecce mean?

Post by spice »

hi guys I am currently working on lingua latina familia romana and have a question on the word "Ecce" which is used frequently in chapter 4. What is the meaning of this word and why isn't "hic" used instead?

thank you!

ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

Re: what does the word ecce mean?

Post by ThatLanguageGuy »

Hi, the word "ecce," means "look!" or "behold!" We use a book at school called Ecce Romani which means "look! The Romans!" I wish you good luck in your study of Latin!

ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ThatLanguageGuy »

Hic can mean "this," or "here." Translation depends upon context, and I often think a macron over the i makes it the word meaning "here."

procrastinator
Textkit Neophyte

Post by procrastinator »

The English-Latin dictionary by Smith and Hall (1871) says it is regularly followed by the nominative, but sometimes by the accusative.

A couple of quotes from the dictionary about the use of ecce:
When a person is seen coming, it is often expressed by ecce, behold.
Ecce is often used to call attention to something about to be said, when it indicates surprise
only.

swtwentyman
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swtwentyman »

Believe it or not the demonstratives "hic" and "hoc" are long -- even though Wheelock says they're short, people here who know far more than I do say otherwise, and it's borne out by the meter.

(I looked it up and both hīc/hōc and hic/hoc are listed, but the lemma is the long so I'd imagine it's the primary one)