Jeff's summer wishlist

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Jeff's summer wishlist

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi everyone, some have asked for what I'm looking for. Generally, I take what I can find and we don't really have too much direction with exactly what we post.

But here's an idea that would make a great August promotion - "The Complete Works of Arthur Sidgwick" We all have our favorites and Sidgwick is one of mine along with Hadley, D'Ooge, Goodwin and White.

Anyone who has thumbed through Greek Prose Composition can easily see how well he writes. Of all the Greek textbook authors I consider his didactic style of writing to be most helpful. He's not stuffy and he gets to the point real quick about what's important for the learner.

It would be cool to sorta have an online exhibit of his works plus a nice bit of information regarding his life and bibliography.

Here are his works as I know them to be

TEXTKIT HAS
Introduction to Greek Prose Composition
Introduction to Greek Prose Composition Key
A First Greek Writer
A First Greek Writer Key
Easy Selections from Plato

TEXTKIT NEEDS
Lecures on Greek Prose Composition (I have heard this is excellent)
Homer's Iliad - Books I, II, XXI, XXII
Scenes From Greek Plays Rugby Edition (abridge and adapted)
Cicero De Amicitia

So we're looking for 4 books. I'm looking at a pretty old bibliography from 1898 so there could be more.

thanks - jeff
Textkit Founder

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Thanks for the new post, Jeff! Real easy for me to find, too!

I'll do some snooping around here and on worldcat for these books. I'll post what libraries are listed for them, just in case someone lives nearby to check them out. Otherwise, I have no problem ordering them through inter-library loan. :)

Happy hunting!

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

many thanks! I miss interlibrary loan. Oh, the damage I could do with an accont :D
Textkit Founder

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Jeff--Would you be interested in Sidgwick's Aeschyli Tragoediae? It's from 1902, 400 pages. We have it here in Lawrence, but it is also at the Cleveland Public Library (according to WorldCat) along with many other Ohio libraries if you wish to look at it personally.

I'm still on WorldCat looking at other of his works...I'll keep you posted :)

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Sidgwick, Arthur
Lectures on Greek Prose Composition: with exercises
London: Rivingtons 1887, 170 pages

13 libraries according to WorldCat

1. Wesleyan Univ, CT
2. Yale Univer, CT
3. Univ of Florida
4. Illinois State Univ
5. Knox Col, IL
6. Wabash Col, IN
7. Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore Cnty, MD
8. Univ of Maine at Orono, ME
9. Univ of Oklahoma
10. Univ of Pittsburg
11. Dalhousie Univ, Killam Lib, NS
12. Institute of Classical Studies, EU
13. Univ of Newcastle, EU

EU=Europe

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Sidgwick, Arthur & Keep, Robert Porter
The Iliad of Homer, Books I-III
Boston: J. Allyn 1879, 203 pages

Located in the following libraries:

1. Univ of Cali, Berkeley
2. Univ of Colorado at Boulder
3. Howard Univ, DC
4. Grinnell Col, IA
5. Wabash Col, IN
6. Tulane Univ, LA
7. Univ of Mass at Amherst
8. Goucher Col, MD
9. Carleton Col, MN
10. Univ of MO at St. Louis
11. Duke Univ Lib, NC
12. Kent State Univ, OH
13. Univ of S. Dakota
14. Richmond Pub Lib, VA
15. Univ of Virginia

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Sidgwick, Arthur
Lectures on Greek Prose Composition, with Exercises
London, New York: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1902, 170 pages

Located in the following libraries:

1. Stanford Univ, CA
2. Florida State Univ
3. Loyola Univ of Chicago
4. College of the Holy Cross, MA
5. Harvard Univ
6. Williams Col, MA
7. Washington Univ, MO
8. Canisius Col, NY
9. Univ of Cincinnati, OH
10. Brown Univ, RI
11. Univ Col, Cork, EU
12. Univ of London, EU

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Laelius de Amicitia
London: Rivingtons 1878

1. Univ of Cali, Berkeley
2. Trinity Col, CT
3. Harvard Univ Divinity School
4. Mount Holyoke Col, MA
5. Iona Col, NY
6. Univ of British Columbia

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

These are other works written by Arthur Sidgwick--

1. Persae (Aeschylus), 1903 and 1915
2. Septem contra Thebas, w/ intro & notes, 903
3. Agamemnon, 1881, 1890, 1898, and 1925
4. Choephoroi, 1884, 1892, 1900, and 1924
5. P. Vergili Maronis Opera, w/ intro & notes, 1890, 1907, & 1922
6. Eumenides, 1887, 1895, & 1902
7. P. Vergili Maronis Georgicon: liber IV, 1885-1886
8. P. Vergili Maronis Aeneidos, 1879
9. P. Vergili Maronis Bucolica, 1887
10. P. Ovidii Nasonis Fastorum liber VI, 1877
11. Scenes from Euripides (rugby Ed): Aristophanes, 1874 & 1887
12. Scenes from Euripides (Rugby Ed): Ion, 1872 (located at Ohio Wesleyan Univ)
13. Scenes from Euripides (Rugby Ed): Iphigenia in Tauris, 1883 (located at Univ of Cali-Berkeley and also at Yale Univ)
14. Scenes from Euripides, located at Univ of Notre Dame.

Besides the Rugby Edition series, are any of these other books of interest?

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Forgot about this one...

The influence of Greek Philosophy on English Poetry, the Chancellor's essay, 1906.

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

Jeff,
one more question: do you require that books be presented in their original form(ie just photocopied as-is)?

Would it be acceptable for someone to create a derivative work from the public domain source, and have the derivative work placed on textkit? for example an OCR'd and typesetted version, which would print better and also have a smaller file size.

Granted, the vast majority of the value of these books comes from the content, but in my mind it wouldn't hurt for them to be typeset by modern digital standards :)

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Aw this whole thread makes we want to go "abuse" my interlibrary loan privileges and go nuts! :D Does anyone have a complete listing of D'Ooge's works? I think that would make a great September back-to-school promotion right there! So many ideas...so little time...

EDIT: Queen's University seems to have the four Sidgwick titles in question, I'll check out their condition next time I head back to school!

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

MDS wrote:Aw this whole thread makes we want to go "abuse" my interlibrary loan privileges and go nuts! :D
So what are you waiting for! :lol:

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

So what are you waiting for!
lol I'm trying to get through the hundreds of books sitting unread in my house first :!: [This is far from a chore by the way!!!]

Is anyone else familiar with this site? http://eebo.chadwyck.com/home

It contains pdf files of thousands upon thousands of early english books including some nice latin/greek learning related finds c. 1585

Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pete »

Is anyone else familiar with this site? http://eebo.chadwyck.com/home

WOAH SWEET LINK! I thought this was only on microfilm. I needed to use the proxy server at my university to gain access to it, though.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

WOAH SWEET LINK! I thought this was only on microfilm. I needed to use the proxy server at my university to gain access to it, though.
As did I, I note you also go to Queen's. :shock:

Pete
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pete »

As did I, I note you also go to Queen's.
Yeah, so I owe all of what is good in my Latin to the great professor Kavanagh. Did you study under him too?

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Yeah, so I owe all of what is good in my Latin to the great professor Kavanagh. Did you study under him too?
No I have not as of yet but I'll hopefully have him come September! *crosses fingers* [I had Dr. Reeves this year...it was "interesting" to say the least]
Granted, the vast majority of the value of these books comes from the content, but in my mind it wouldn't hurt for them to be typeset by modern digital standards
Hmmm...and more to the point of this thread what is "modern digital standards"???

Dacicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dacicus »

modern digital standards
A TeX system, maybe?

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

Dacicus wrote:
modern digital standards
A TeX system, maybe?
Along those lines, yeah. Though I find the default TeX fonts to be hideously ugly for non-mathematical stuff! I don't understand why people say Knuth's fonts are beautiful.

I ws thinking about Adobe InDesign with commercial quality fonts etc.

The advantage being that they'd be searchable and smaller and better-looking.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Jeff:
I've just put in a bid on Daniell's "New Latin Composition Based on Caesar and Cicero" (1897). If/when I get it, do you want a copy?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

I ordered a Sidgwick book (An Introduction to Greek Verse Composition) via interlibrary loan and they sent me a substitution! The title is correct but the date is 1955! Grrrr! Has anyone had problems with this before?
:? :? :? I'll try again, darn it!

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

eris wrote:I ordered a Sidgwick book (An Introduction to Greek Verse Composition) via interlibrary loan and they sent me a substitution! The title is correct but the date is 1955! Grrrr! Has anyone had problems with this before?
:? :? :? I'll try again, darn it!
Oh the hubris! I know the feeling. With funding to the public libraries severely curtailed, it's hard to retain qualifed and knowledgeable staff. I recall once asking this chick, who worked at the library, if my interlibrary loan for the book The Peloponnesian Wars had arrived. She asks, "What is the author's name?" I reply, "Thucydides." I kindly spell it out. Then, in a serious manner she asks, "OK, can you give me his/her first name?" I retort, "He is a male, and, like Madonna, has only one name."

Take care.

PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

How frustrating, Peter!

I guess I'm a bit irritated with the library because in addition to the bibliography, I gave them a list of libraries AND the call numbers where the book was located in each library.

I just requested Lectures on Greek Prose Composition by Sidgwick from 1887 so we'll see if they send me the correct one!

Oh, and please allow me one more grrrr.

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! :roll:

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

klewlis wrote:Jeff:
I've just put in a bid on Daniell's "New Latin Composition Based on Caesar and Cicero" (1897). If/when I get it, do you want a copy?
man, sorry for the slow reply - i didn't see this response.

I already have a copy of that book but thank you anyway for the kind offer.

jeff
Textkit Founder

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

eris wrote: I just requested Lectures on Greek Prose Composition by Sidgwick from 1887 so we'll see if they send me the correct one!
Let us hope that it comes in - i want that. I have never seen it but I hear it's quite nice.

jeff
Textkit Founder

waraysa
Textkit Neophyte

Jeff's Summer Wish List

Post by waraysa »

Jeff

I gather that you have recently moved.

Please send me a private message with your new address so that I can forward you the key to Sir William Smith's Initia Graeca Part 1 Greek Course that you have already placed on Textkit. I had promised to send this to you a while ago but have been too busy.

Regards

Waraysa

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

With funding to the public libraries severely curtailed, it's hard to retain qualifed and knowledgeable staff. I recall once asking this chick, who worked at the library, if my interlibrary loan for the book The Peloponnesian Wars had arrived. She asks, "What is the author's name?" I reply, "Thucydides." I kindly spell it out. Then, in a serious manner she asks, "OK, can you give me his/her first name?" I retort, "He is a male, and, like Madonna, has only one name."
I hope you said it with a sweet smile. I've been hearing jokes about the misfilings and general ignorance of bookshop assistants and librarians since at least the 1970s (about the time I was able to understand the jokes myself). I've come to realise that nobody can know everything. Even the ideal of knowing something about everything and everything about something is probably impossible these days. For all you know, this young woman may know far more about Chinese literature or the history of science than you or I. Are you sure you would not be making similar booboos in other subjects?

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

bingley wrote:Are you sure you would not be making similar booboos in other subjects?
A good point well made. Thank you, Mr. Bingley.
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Guess what I have in my possession? Sidgwick's Lectures on Greek Prose Composition with Exercises! :)

Jeff, I plan to photocopy it today & mail it tomorrow along with the other books we had discussed before. :)