Online Answer Key to A READING COURSE IN HOMERIC GREEK, 3ed.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Faylasoof
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Faylasoof »

I’ve come across this before. Unfortunately this online key is still not finished - stops at the beginning of lesson 95. That is one reason I dropped the idea of using Schoder and Horrigan instead of Pharr. The latter also has an unfinished key (http://www.greekgeek.org), but I guess I’ve got used to Pharr. However, if Schoder & Horrigan offers particular advantages then I'm willing to change.
utlub ul-'ilm min al-mahad il al-laHad
[Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave]

Koehnsen
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Online Answer Key to A READING COURSE IN HOMERIC GREEK,

Post by Koehnsen »

Faylasoof wrote:I’ve come across this before. Unfortunately this online key is still not finished - stops at the beginning of lesson 95. That is one reason I dropped the idea of using Schoder and Horrigan instead of Pharr.
Does this not address your concern?

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Faylasoof wrote:I’ve come across this before. Unfortunately this online key is still not finished - stops at the beginning of lesson 95. That is one reason I dropped the idea of using Schoder and Horrigan instead of Pharr.
Yes, it's a work-in-progress, but by the time it takes you to reach lessoon 95 ( 6 months? ) it's highly probable that the answer key will be completed. Besides, if you have any questions, you can always ask them here.

Note that there is an online Greek study group that uses the said text:

http://wwwlgeocites.com/homericgreek/
The latter also has an unfinished key (www.greekgeek.org), but I guess I’ve got used to Pharr. However, if Schoder & Horrigan offers particular advantages then I'm willing to change.
The creator of the site greekgeek.org, although a very busy man, would gladly help you if you have a any questions. Simply contact him via the e-mail address that he kindly provides.

Both texts will give you a great start to learning Homeric Greek. I suggest you use both.

Faylasoof
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Faylasoof »

Koehnsen
Does this not address your concern?
Yes, indeed it does. But as a voracious collector (and reader) of books I’m always on the prowl for free stuff!

PeterD
Both texts will give you a great start to learning Homeric Greek. I suggest you use both.
I have indeed every intention of using both the texts but as I’ve gone quite far with Pharr I shall keep that going for now. It is very traditional in its approach but that's OK with me. I have had similarly traditional grammars for other languages too. Schoder and Horrigan I’ll use later. It’ll help me revise.

Not so long ago I also acquired the 2-volume, Leaf and Bayfield (1962) edition of the Iliad, complete with grammar hints, copious notes and vocabulary. I also managed to get second-hand copies of the Loeb versions of the Iliad and the Odessey. Not to mention Munro’s Homeric Grammar in digital format: (http://www.archive.org/details/grammaro ... 00monruoft )
Should keep me busy for a while.
utlub ul-'ilm min al-mahad il al-laHad
[Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave]

mydogisbox
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Online Answer Key to A READING COURSE IN HOMERIC GREEK, 3ed.

Post by mydogisbox »

That URL is no longer active. Fortunately it is still available at the internet archive.

http://web.archive.org/web/200710132301 ... choder.htm

antonyclassicallatin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by antonyclassicallatin »

Thanks for the answer key.
Washington DC Area.
Knowledgable in Ancient Greek and Latin.

huilen
Textkit Member

Post by huilen »

Any body knows if the answer key of A Reading Course in Homeric Greek (http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Course-Ho ... pd_sim_b_1) is also for the book 2?

antonyclassicallatin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by antonyclassicallatin »

The answer key on Amazon.com appears to be off a few sections. Is that true? Is there a new updated one besides the one online?

The online one has great quotes about Classical learning and literature however, but ends at lesson 95.
Washington DC Area.
Knowledgable in Ancient Greek and Latin.

Bart
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bart »

The Teacher's Manual and Answer Key (available on amazon) to A Reading Course in Homeric Greek though written for the 1st or 2nd edition is perfectly usable with the 3rd edition as well, especially in combination with the online answer key. Differences are minor and really no big deal. At least for book I, since Book II of the 3rd edition is an abridged version with only half the length of the original. But then Book II is mostly about reading and has only a few exercises, so you don't really need an answer key. I would recommend looking for a 1st or 2nd edition of book II for less is defenitely not more in this case (there can never be too much Homer).

huilen
Textkit Member

Post by huilen »

Thanks.
Book II is mostly about reading and has only a few exercises, so you don't really need an answer key.
You are right, there are no english->greek translation exercises in Book II, so there is no need of answer key.

homericgreekans
Textkit Neophyte

Post by homericgreekans »

The Online Answer Key has now been moved and will be finished at homericgreek.net