Mapmaking: Greek for "monster islands?"

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
esten
Textkit Neophyte

Mapmaking: Greek for "monster islands?"

Post by esten »

Hi, I'm writing an alternate-Earth fantasy novel and could use some help creating island names that sound authentic.

Following the pattern of names like Micronesia, Indonesia, Polynesia, how would I write:
- Monster Islands (Teratonesia?)
- Forbidden Islands (Apagorevmenesia?)
- Silent Islands (Siopilesia?)
- Dragon Islands (Drakonesia?)

Thank you!

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Mapmaking: Greek for "monster islands?"

Post by mwh »

I like Teratonesia. For the others I suggest Abatonesia (abatos forbidden to walk on), Apsophonesia (your Siopilesia should be Siopelonesia, but Apsophonesia sounds better?—apsofos noiseless), and Dracontonesia or Drakontonesia (more correctly formed than Drakonesia).

What percentage of the profits do I get?

ObsequiousNewt
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Teratonesia, Aporrhe(to?)nesia, Siopo- or Sigonesia, Draconesia (with -k- if you so prefer.)

These are not very Greek compounds; as I understand it, constructions such as τερῶν νῆσοι (terôn nêsoi), ἀπόρρηται νῆσοι (apórrhētai nêsoi), σιγῆς νῆσοι (sīgês nêsoi), δρακόντων νῆσοι (drakóntōn nêsoi) would be better Greek, and you could actually derive names such as Aporrhetae (-ai?) from this. This process was exemplified by the name "Cyclades", originally for "Cyclades Nesoi" (κυκλάδες νῆσοι), i.e. "encircling islands". Through this process I'd give Tera, Aporrhetae, Siopae/Sigae, and Dracones—although these would probably be better with adjectival suffixes I'm not entirely sure what they would be, though -ades wouldn't be bad (Teratades, Siopades/Sigades, Draconades; Aporrhetae is already adjectival but you could use something like Aporrheades.)

Also take note that terato-, when compounded, tends to mean something closer to "marvelous". "thero-" might be better.
εἰς ἄκρον περ ὄρος βραδέως τε μόγις τ' ἀναβαίνων
γῆν ἀποπίπτουσαν ἔκ μεο θηέομαι

Victor
Textkit Fan

Post by Victor »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:Teratonesia, Aporrhe(to?)nesia, Siopo- or Sigonesia, Draconesia (with -k- if you so prefer.)

These are not very Greek compounds; as I understand it
Is esten writing his book in English or Greek? I understood it was the former. If that's the case, then I don't really see the point of your objection.

ObsequiousNewt
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Pedanticism. I like to see well-formed compounds.

esten
Textkit Neophyte

Post by esten »

I really appreciate all the responses.
mwh wrote:I like Teratonesia. For the others I suggest Abatonesia (abatos forbidden to walk on), Apsophonesia (your Siopilesia should be Siopelonesia, but Apsophonesia sounds better?—apsofos noiseless), and Dracontonesia or Drakontonesia (more correctly formed than Drakonesia).

What percentage of the profits do I get?
100%, because I like your word choices better. Unfortunately Amazon claims 100% of the profits plus a modest listing fee.
ObsequiousNewt wrote:Teratonesia, Aporrhe(to?)nesia, Siopo- or Sigonesia, Draconesia (with -k- if you so prefer.)

These are not very Greek compounds; as I understand it, constructions such as τερῶν νῆσοι (terôn nêsoi), ἀπόρρηται νῆσοι (apórrhētai nêsoi), σιγῆς νῆσοι (sīgês nêsoi), δρακόντων νῆσοι (drakóntōn nêsoi) would be better Greek, and you could actually derive names such as Aporrhetae (-ai?) from this. This process was exemplified by the name "Cyclades", originally for "Cyclades Nesoi" (κυκλάδες νῆσοι), i.e. "encircling islands". Through this process I'd give Tera, Aporrhetae, Siopae/Sigae, and Dracones—although these would probably be better with adjectival suffixes I'm not entirely sure what they would be, though -ades wouldn't be bad (Teratades, Siopades/Sigades, Draconades; Aporrhetae is already adjectival but you could use something like Aporrheades.)
That's right, I forgot all about the Cyclades...that's a good idea, using that form.

How would I convert abatos or apsophos to that form? (Abatades and Apsofades?)
ObsequiousNewt wrote:Also take note that terato-, when compounded, tends to mean something closer to "marvelous". "thero-" might be better.
I saw thero in the dictionary, more elegant than terato but was worried it implied beast or animal more than monster...the animal/monster distinction is important. I'd sooner use demon than beast.

Does terato not really mean monster? What word is used for the mythological monsters?

ObsequiousNewt
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

esten wrote:How would I convert abatos or apsophos to that form? (Abatades and Apsofades?)
Abatades and Apsophades, yes.
esten wrote:
ObsequiousNewt wrote:Also take note that terato-, when compounded, tends to mean something closer to "marvelous". "thero-" might be better.
I saw thero in the dictionary, more elegant than terato but was worried it implied beast or animal more than monster...the animal/monster distinction is important. I'd sooner use demon than beast.

Does terato not really mean monster? What word is used for the mythological monsters?
Teras means "monster" or "sign, portent, wonder, marvel". Most of its derivational compounds have a meaning closer to the latter, but it varies, and the meanings certainly overlap (given that a monster is a wonder, perhaps in a bad sense of the word.) The sense varies as well, apparently, from good to neutral to bad. So unless you are referring to sea-monsters (in which case cet(o)- or ket(o)- is a better root), tera(t(o))- is probably your best option.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

However would anyone know how to say Abatades or Apsofades?! To rhyme with Everglades?* You'd do better to stick to mine (he humbly said).
Doesn't Apsophonesia sound great! Apsolutely fabulous.

*No motorcades on Abatades, nor maids on Apsophades.
No lemonades on Teratades, and Draconades lack shades.
Do I make my point?

ObsequiousNewt
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

You know, I honestly thought "Cyclades" was /'saɪklədi:z/. Although I don't think it sounds worse for being /'saɪkleɪdz/.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

I’m afraid you miss the point, which is that it would not be at all clear how to pronounce an –ades coinage.

But what a fatuous discussion this is!

ObsequiousNewt
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

It seems clear at least that it is either /eɪdz/ or /ədi:z/... which is no more ambiguous than the root abat-.

Damian
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Damian »

Theriades / Therionesia

Scyllades / Scyllanesia

Karkinades / Karkinonesia

:twisted:

After reading over a few of previous posts I found this interesting part
ObsequiousNewt wrote:"Cyclades", originally for "Cyclades Nesoi" (κυκλάδες νῆσοι), i.e. "encircling islands".
I then remembered that a bit to the north there is another islands complex.That one is called "Sporades".
https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Al ... 9d82?hl=en

And then I recalled the island names of that small complex. Among the others there is one called ... Allonesos.

Hence,

:mrgreen:

How about

Teratonesos(compound name)
Therionesos
Abatonesos
Dracontonesos

3/12/2015