Don't do anything...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
phil
Textkit Fan

Don't do anything...

Post by phil »

I am trying to write something for a colleague's farewell card, and rather than "Don't do anything I wouldn't do", I want "Do lots of things I wouldn't".
I have 'fac multa quae non faciam'. Is this right? I'm particulary unsure about the faciam.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Don't do anything...

Post by benissimus »

phil wrote:I am trying to write something for a colleague's farewell card, and rather than "Don't do anything I wouldn't do", I want "Do lots of things I wouldn't".
I have 'fac multa quae non faciam'. Is this right? I'm particulary unsure about the faciam.
I think the phrase is best represented by a relative clause of characteristic as you have done. You might try a subjunctive command using facias for a more light-hearted rendition. Then, because subjunctives, even in commands, are freer in position, you have a lot more options for order as well. It also doesn't matter whether multa and quae are in the singular or plural (do many things / do much), so you have a great deal of options to choose from.

By now you will probably be in the process of developing your own style. With my style I would say Multa facias quae non faciam. "You just go ahead and do that... I wouldn't" :D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

In my style it would be Ac me noli eadem bibere ex ampulla mihi quae quidem non assumenda

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Belated thanks to you both for your help. Though I'm not sure if I have a style yet.