Colebourn's "Latin Sentence and Idiom"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Thersites
Textkit Neophyte

Colebourn's "Latin Sentence and Idiom"

Post by Thersites »

I just bought this book after hearing that it was good for taking the step from learning beginners' Latin to polishing up in preparation for the full-on classical texts, but have a small problem. The exercises have no answers, and I can't find an answer key on the internet!

Am I just being spoilt in expecting, as with most of the other modern introductory courses to Latin, that there is available either in the book itself or separately suggested answers? Clearly this was a book once used widely in classrooms and as such the teacher would be expected to provide answers, but is there no hope for an autodidact such as myself?

Does anyone know where I can get some answers to the exercises in the bloody thing? Or am I condemned to writing out my answers and hoping I'm not making howling errors along the road?

Cheers.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Colebourn's "Latin Sentence and Idiom"

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve Thersites!

If you mean the book "Latin Sentence and Idiom: A Composition Course" by R. Colebourn you're probably out of luck. An answer key has been published by the author (as "A key to Latin sentence and idiom" in 1956 and 1963 and as "Key to the continuous prose passages in 'Latin sentence and idiom'" in 1952). Unfortunately, these do not seem to be readily available as far as I can tell from search results from Google Books and various online "Used books" web-sites.

So, you either work through it without key (and ask for help on this forum if you have serious doubts in some cases) or you switch to a different text book for which an answer key is available.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

Carolus Raeticus wrote:So, you either work through it without key (and ask for help on this forum if you have serious doubts in some cases)
I strongly recommend against this. It's easy to make a lot of mistakes without ever realizing it. Even Benissimus's old answer key for Wheelock had what seemed to be a few clear mistakes in it as a result of attempting this.

Have you tried contacting the publisher? Or is the publisher not around anymore?
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Don't despair!

Good old Patruus has included it in his collection of fantastic Latin answer keys:

http://cid-7c51d883593d5954.office.live ... 3D5954!142

I can't understand why Textkit hasn't yet set up a link to such keys somewhere on the site. How difficult would that be?

Cheers,
Int

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve Interaxe!

I did not know about that resource! Cool.
Interaxus wrote: I can't understand why Textkit hasn't yet set up a link to such keys somewhere on the site. How difficult would that be?
I heartily agree with you. I believe that a small but good link list would be very useful for the users. Right now, such links are spread through various postings. In my opinion putting them in one - prominent - place (NOT a posting) would be better. One of the links should refer to Ed Donnelly's wonderful list of downloadable Latin (and Greek) text books in the public domain.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Thersites
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Thersites »

Thank you all very much indeed for your replies. They were all extremely helpful - particularly Interaxus who, beyond all expectations, actually came up with the answer key! I'd long since begun to doubt it was any longer available. But thank you to all of you who replied, it was greatly appreciated.

I've read a fair bit of the book so far without attempting the exercises, and found it to be an excellent follow-on from the introductory course I did (So You Really Want to Learn Latin). So I'm very pleased I can now get stuck into the exercises.

Oncer again, thank you very much.

Effi
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Effi »

Hi, I have tried the link provided by Interaxus, but it doesn't seem to be working for me :( Can anyone help, please? I get terribly stuck at some points with the exercises and I'm probably making many more mistakes than I realize...Thank you!

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Effi
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Effi »

Thank you very much! This is so helpful!!

nachtebuch
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nachtebuch »

Wow. That is a brilliant resource. Thank you so much for sharing this! I'm looking to fine-tune my Latin (it's really bad even after two text modules at uni) so this is going to be really, really helpful.

Cicero wannabe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Cicero wannabe »

Hi, a key to the Colebourn prose comp book would be very useful, but both of the links in this chain don't seem to be working for me. can anyone suggest a current way of getting hold of it?
thanks

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Cicero wannabe:

Send me your email address in a Textkit PM and I'll send you the pdf.

Bene vale!
Int

EtTuBrute
Textkit Neophyte

Post by EtTuBrute »

I would really like a copy too. I'm teaching myself Latin and am about to finish Hilllard & Botting's Elementary Latin Exercises. I own Colebourn, but don't have the key.

sarahelliot
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sarahelliot »

Hi, Could I possibly have the key as well? I can't use private messages yet though as I've just joined the site - is there another way to send the PDF?

phalanx
Textkit Neophyte

Post by phalanx »

I'm also trying to find an answer key for Colebourn - but, oddly enough, the links here take me to a key for Bennett instead! Am I missing something?? I would be very grateful indeed for a Colebourn key. Thanks, all, for your help.

epbeastie
Textkit Neophyte

Post by epbeastie »

Salve
I can't use either of these links, does anyone have another live one for the key to Colebourn Latin Sentence and Idiom?
Many thanks

doniol
Textkit Neophyte

Post by doniol »

Salvete omnes,
Try this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryap4ieiucer2 ... y.pdf?dl=0
Best of luck with this. Colebourn's is an excellent book; sums up all the important points of syntax in a concise and memorable form.
Doniol.

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

doniol wrote:Salvete omnes,
Try this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryap4ieiucer2 ... y.pdf?dl=0
Best of luck with this. Colebourn's is an excellent book; sums up all the important points of syntax in a concise and memorable form.
Doniol.
Thanks for posting this, doniol. I have the books but never entertained any hope of finding a key.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

jaumefuste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jaumefuste »

Thank you very much! The Dropbox link worked for me. Right now I'm following Moreland & Fleischer's 'LATIN An Intensive Course' by myself. I'm able to do so only because I could get the key to the answers. Now I will be able to do the same later with Colebourn's book. So thank you!

Jaume Fuste
https://www.facebook.com/jaume.fuste

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

Jaume, where did you get the key to M&F? How complete was it? There was a good key online a few years back but it disappeared without a trace!

Seán
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

jaumefuste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jaumefuste »

Hi, ÓBuadhaigh. Follow this link:

http://individual.utoronto.ca/ajhicks/m ... scher.html

Jaume

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

Thanks for this, Jaume. It's not a full key, but something is better than nothing. :D

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Here's a DropBox link to an M&F Key that seems pretty complete. Hope it fills in the gaps.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/etib9lmbxnwc ... 6mJCa?dl=0

Bene vale!
Int

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

Interaxus, I have no idea how you found this - for I certainly looked - but it looks to me like a copy of the one which disappeared from Oxford University's website when they did their reorganisation a few years ago. Many, many thanks for this.

May I request any moderator passing through to put a copy of Interaxus' post on this thread? http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... 20&t=10568

jaumefuste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jaumefuste »

Thank you, Interaxus!

Jaume

BovesLucas
Textkit Neophyte

Post by BovesLucas »

Thank you so much to Doniol for Colebourn's key:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryap4ieiucer2 ... urnKey.pdf

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

The key can be now found also following the link in The Textkit Book Collection.
I used mutool to split the original two-page pdf scan into a single- page pdf, as described here.

jaumefuste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jaumefuste »

Here's the COLEBOURN KEY in PDF format:

https://usuaris.tinet.cat/jfuste/01/ColebournKey.pdf

Enjoy!