Is this OK

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Is this OK

Post by pmda »

Hoc responsum meum ad Q. viii in LLPSI Exercitia Latina:

8. Quid prohibuit ne Troiani in Creta considerent.

In somno Aeneae Di Penates ad stare ei visi sunt et monuerunt ut eum et socii sui e Creta egrederentur.

whsiv
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Is this OK

Post by whsiv »

While I can't speak much to the content of your answer and its correctness (thought it does seem to provide a good reason why Aeneas and his guys didn't settle on Sicily), I think I can help out a little bit with the grammar.
In somno Aeneae Di Penates ad stare ei visi sunt et monuerunt ut eum et socii sui e Creta egrederentur.
Since the subject of the main clause is di penates, anything that is reflexive would properly be referring back to them. So, in the ut-clause you have eum et socii sui in an attempt to refer to "Aeneas and his buddies." I think eum et socii eius is what you are looking for.

I know that there are some reasons why a reflexive can be used to refer to the subject of a subordinate clause, but I don't have time to look up a reference at this moment. In any case, di penates are still the subject of your ut-clause.

Also, it looks like you might have a bit of a typo: I think for ad stare you meant adstare.
Last edited by whsiv on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Many thanks. That eius vs. suus thing was exlplained to me before. I'll have to check it out again.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Nonnè rectiùs scribitur hoc, "eum monuerunt ut", pro hoc, "monuerunt ut eum"?
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

whsiv
Textkit Neophyte

Post by whsiv »

vero ita dicis