Ch7 PR13

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
klewlis
Global Moderator

Ch7 PR13

Post by klewlis »

Alrighty, PR13 of chapter 7:
After bad times true virtue and much labor will help the state.

And our fabulous answer key says:
Post tempora mala virtus vera et labor multus civitatem adiuvabunt.

now, I would think that it should be "virtus verus", since virtus is masculine nominative singular. Am I missing something or is this a typo in the key?

(I am lacking in sleep so forgive me if I'm overlooking something ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It's an understandable mistake to make, but virtus, while it ends in -us, is a feminine noun of the third declension.

Virtus, Virtutis F.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

!!

I seem to be having that problem a lot lately... did the same thing with tempus being neuter... was so confused... lol. Those darned third declension nouns.

This is what happens when you try to do latin at 4am. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I definitely would avoid doing Latin when you are really sleepy. I look at some of the things I write on my homework the day after I stayed up writing it in any subject, and I wonder what I was thinking... misspelled words, reversed meanings, repeated phrases... :roll:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

benissimus wrote:I definitely would avoid doing Latin when you are really sleepy. I look at some of the things I write on my homework the day after I stayed up writing it in any subject, and I wonder what I was thinking.
lol. this is true.

but I have all these agonizingly quiet night shifts at work which are just 8 hours of time either to do latin or watch tv... so I'm trying to make the most of it. :) I do ok until about 4 or 5 am and then I have to give up.

Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Post by Ulpianus »

benissimus wrote:I definitely would avoid doing Latin when you are really sleepy. I look at some of the things I write on my homework the day after I stayed up writing it in any subject, and I wonder what I was thinking... misspelled words, reversed meanings, repeated phrases... :roll:
Etiam Homerus dormitat.

Sadly, as for me, I look at something I did when I was not sleepy and I wonder what I was thinking ... misspelled words, reversed meanings, repeated phrases :roll:

ThatGuyWhoLovesLatin
Textkit Neophyte

Re:

Post by ThatGuyWhoLovesLatin »

benissimus wrote:It's an understandable mistake to make, but virtus, while it ends in -us, is a feminine noun of the third declension.

Virtus, Virtutis F.
@benissimus is this sentence incorrect if you put multus laborque after vera virtus?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Re:

Post by bedwere »

ThatGuyWhoLovesLatin wrote:
benissimus wrote:It's an understandable mistake to make, but virtus, while it ends in -us, is a feminine noun of the third declension.

Virtus, Virtutis F.
@benissimus is this sentence incorrect if you put multus laborque after vera virtus?
Benissimus hasn't logged on since 2010. You may use laborque multus, multusque labor, but not multus laborque.