Word Order

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Word Order

Post by Milito » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:53 pm

'Magistra' is indeed a feminine noun - it means "teacher", among other things. Good guess on the masculine form.... unfortunately, it's one of the exceptions to the second declension rule, so the masculine is actually 'Magister'. <br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:07 pm

mariek, watch out for those 2nd declension -er nouns.<br /><br />Some adjectives are like that also<br /><br />eg. miser, misera, miserum. <br /><br />Some nouns drop the 'e' <br /><br />ager, field m<br /><br />ager, agri, agro, agrum, agro<br /><br /><br />Has anyone noticed that team in the tour de France? <br /><br />Credit Agricole?
phpbb

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek » Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:47 pm

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=229;start=30#1492 date=1058454444]<br />mariek, watch out for those 2nd declension -er nouns.[/quote]<br /><br />I haven't gotten there yet, but I did take a peek ahead and noticed different declensions for "puer" and "ager". <br /><br />Well, it's definitely getting interesting with the 2nd declension nouns ... it's not one formula fits all!<br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:20 pm

yeah but those -er nouns are the only variations. <br /><br />wait until 3rd ! ah....
phpbb

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:45 pm

You're way ahead of me !!

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:11 pm

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=229;start=30#1516 date=1058467670]<br /><br />I haven't gotten there yet, but I did take a peek ahead and noticed different declensions for "puer" and "ager". <br /><br />Well, it's definitely getting interesting with the 2nd declension nouns ... it's not one formula fits all!<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Actually, there's a pretty good trick for sorting out which ones lose the 'e' and which don't, for which we can thank English's habit of absorbing all other languages with which it has extended contact...... Look for an English word that is related to the Latin one, and see what it does. For example, ager = field, and English has agriculture. The 'ager' drops its middle "e". Adjectives can behave the same way - for example, 'liber' = free, and we have 'liberate', with the "e" in the middle. Keep the "e" in the middle when dealing with that adjective. (But watch out for 'liber' = book, which does lose the "e", as "library" tells you......)<br /><br />The difficulty comes when there isn't an English word you can use as a memory jog, or when the English word isn't in use a whole lot anymore... have you used "pulchritudinous" lately? (Latin adjective "Pulcher"....)<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:40 pm

pulchritudinous = trucking awesome!
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:43 pm

and pulchritude = beauty, n.
phpbb

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito » Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:16 pm

Yes, but have you actually USED them lately? I mean, wander up to someone you know a little bit and say "My, but you're looking pulchritudinous today!" ;D<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek » Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:57 pm

[quote author=Milito link=board=3;threadid=229;start=45#1557 date=1058537519]<br />Actually, there's a pretty good trick for sorting out which ones lose the 'e' and which don't<br />...<br />The difficulty comes when there isn't an English word you can use as a memory jog, or when the English word isn't in use a whole lot anymore... have you used "pulchritudinous" lately?[/quote]<br /><br />Hey, I like that trick ! I think it will be more evident to me as I learn and use more vocabulary.<br /><br />Is there a list somewhere with all these neat "tricks"?<br /><br />Pulchritudinous. Lessee.... nope, can't remember the last time I used it. I must admit I even had to look it up in the dictionary. I'm quite limited in my use of sesquipedalian words.<br /><br />