We Know Just About Nothing Again!

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!
Apotheosis
Textkit Member

Post by Apotheosis » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:58 pm

Thanks Raya!

Just one more thing.
I do not think man's knowledge is unlimited because in order to do that, he would have to view the universe from an infinite amount of points which would require and infinite amount of time.
What I was trying to say is that man's potential knowledge is boundless. But what you said is true as well. Man cannot know everything, simply because he would have to be immortal. (Like God.) Well, I think that just about wraps up this discussion! lol :D What do you say?

threewood14
Textkit Fan

Post by threewood14 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:32 pm

Okay if you were saying that potential is infinite, then i did not need to post that last one.

Case Solved 8)

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
phpbb

Apotheosis
Textkit Member

Post by Apotheosis » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:25 pm

You too Kyle! See you tomorrow!

(Yes, this has been Chris the entire time.)

:D

P.S. - Sorry for the deception, but it was neccessary. :D

P.P.S. - This reminds me of Star Wars IV: A New Hope, when Luke is talking to Ben Kenobi. Luke doesn't know Ben is really Obi Wan, so when Luke says: "Do you know him? (referring to Obi Wan)" to Ben, Ben replies: "Of course I know him! He's me!" lol, just thought I'd share that with you. :D

threewood14
Textkit Fan

Post by threewood14 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:28 pm

Hmm. I knew that there was something strange about how you were talking about the same things 'Apotheosis' was talking about. Especially in gym class. Plus, I thought it was very interesting that you started the i think therefore i am thread...
phpbb

threewood14
Textkit Fan

Post by threewood14 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:48 pm

Good site for Mr. Sytek eh?

Sry everyone. We are small freshman in hs. Im done...
phpbb

threewood14
Textkit Fan

Post by threewood14 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:43 pm

The Three Laws that Apotheosis and I have agrred on are the following.

1. One cannot predict future events with absolute certainty.

2. One cannot observe reality neutrally. If one tries to, he will have his own perspective on the universe.

3. One cannot conclude with absolute certainty that his prespective of the universe is proportional to reality.

Recently, we have talked about what reality is. Now I think we have a clear definition of what reality is. Reality is the position of energy at a point in time.
phpbb

Jung He Fah Toy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jung He Fah Toy » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:54 pm

I have read your first Proof That We know Just About Nothing. Your last post in this thread highly resembles the first post made in your first thread. That we cannot know anything.
1. One cannot predict future events with absolute certainty.

2. One cannot observe reality neutrally. If one tries to, he will have his own perspective on the universe.

3. One cannot conclude with absolute certainty that his prespective of the universe is proportional to reality.
I agree with the 1st Law. There is no question that you can predict future events with absolute certainty.

I'm not sure what you mean with the 2nd statement. Are you trying to say that reality is just energy in time? This would make sense. If that is what you mean, then the statement is true. I think you mean that if you try and observe reality, it will be relative to the person. I have read the book Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time. In it, he explains that in the day of Sir Issac Newton, they believed in an absolute space and absolute time. But Einstein's theory of General Relativity clarified this saying that something experiences space and time according to its velocity and its distance fomr matter.

If the description of the 2nd Law is correct, then I agree entirely with the 3rd.

Good Work threewood

Apotheosis
Textkit Member

Post by Apotheosis » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:02 pm

Exactly Jung He Fah Toy. That is what threewood meant. Furthemore, please note, when he says "absolute certainty", that means absolute certainty! Like 100% certain beyond doubt. However, it is possible to be partially certain, or so certain that you are 99.9% certain about a future event; but, that 100% or absolute certainty about a future event cannot be attained.

Jung He Fah Toy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jung He Fah Toy » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:05 pm

I agree completely. Good work boys. Freshman in Highschool? Brilliant!
phpbb

Saiph
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Saiph » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:26 pm

If one cannot know anything, then one cannot know even the mere fact that one cannot know anything.

Better to say, "I suspect I cannot know anything."
Then label yourself ignorant: agnosko

Sartre said that all finite points must have an infinite reference point in order to have meaning.

Those of us who presuppose that reference point do not have to climb that agnostic wall.
phpbb