Proof That We Know Almost Nothing...

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!
Reemas
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Reemas » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:40 pm

I thought that everything that we know up to now have been educated guesses. : D

Seriously though, we think we know but we don't know. Simple analogy, people thought the earth was flat a few hundred years ago. Now imagine how much we actually know right now, or we think we know.
Our thoughts are based upon the known past but out imagination is based upon the unknown future.

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:31 am

threewood14 wrote:you cannot know anything therefore you cannot know how to prove something
If that's the case, then how did you know how to prove that you know nothing?

Even if you manage to prove that you don't know anything, you contradict yourself right there, because you've shown that you do know one thing: the fact that you know nothing.
That fact is still something.
phpbb

threewood14
Textkit Fan

Post by threewood14 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:40 pm

Let me rephrase what I'm trying to say. It is not always pretty and precise. The only thing we truly know for certain is the fact that we cannot know anything else. In other words, the only thing that we can prove is that we know nothing simply because we cannot prove anything else! Plus since anything is possible, or there are an infinite possibilities according to quantam mechanics, then we as humans cannot know the outcome of an event. But remember, this does not mean that the outcome is random according to time.

Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Post by Ulpianus » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:48 pm

threewood14 wrote:The only thing that we can prove is that we know nothing simply because we cannot prove anything else!
Non sequitur. The fact that we cannot prove we know anything does not prove that we do not know anything. It may or may not be the case that we know something: we simply cannot tell. All, some, or none of our beliefs might happen to be true. Skepticism about knowledge cannot logically entail certain confidence in its absence.

Kalailan
Textkit Member

Post by Kalailan » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:08 pm

It may or may not be the case that we know something: we simply cannot tell. All, some, or none of our beliefs might happen to be true
what is a "true" belief?

all of this shows but one thing. that the objective truth is hardly relevant to anyone. it might be the base of each of the subjective truths, but not more then that.
phpbb

threewood14
Textkit Fan

Post by threewood14 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:55 pm

Okay. Of course some of the things we take for granted actually might be true and correct. But we cannot prove them because of the infinite amount of possibilities. And if you cannot prove something, you cannot know it for certain 100 percent

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:05 pm

But no one requires 100% proof to "know" something. Religious people cannot prove their beliefs and most still know that their faith is correct. I know that I am typing this post right now even if there is some incredibly complex hoax to deceive me into thinking something so mundanely silly. Thus, I think that to know something, you do not have to be absolutely sure of it, but only fairly certain... and hopefully with the ability to adapt should you discover it does not coincide with the truth.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

threewood14
Textkit Fan

Post by threewood14 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:29 am

If you are only fairly certain, then something must be doubting you. If you are only fairly certain, then you do not know something 100 percent. If you know something 80 percent, then there is a 20 oercent chance that it may not be true. Most things we believe to be true are about 99 percent. We believe they are true, but that doesnt make it true. Plus, about religions, there are many different ones. To say that they are all correct, is absurb. It would like be saying 1 = 2 = 3 = 4. That is not true. I think what you are trying to say that we can believe things to be true, but unfortunatly they just might not be. We think they are true and we accept them as true because there is enough significant evidence to prove it without one of my wild points. Sure, I believe that I am typing at this point in time, but that doesnt make it true. Believe does not equal fact. And since I know many people are saying, what is a fact, what is prove, what is true...Okay, let me clarify these. To prove something is to make it a fact. A fact is something that can be proven true. Something true or the truth is fact. Truth is reality.
phpbb

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:48 am

I am saying that "knowing" something does not necessarily mean it is universally true, only that you have accepted it as truth.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

threewood14
Textkit Fan

Post by threewood14 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:44 pm

I am saying that "knowing" something does not necessarily mean it is universally true, only that you have accepted it as truth.
That equals what is called a belief. It is what someone accept to be true. The things is that they cannot prove it. That means that it may not actaully be the true truth.
phpbb