38 Latin Stories ( groton & may)

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
katexedge
Textkit Neophyte

38 Latin Stories ( groton & may)

Post by katexedge »

Does anyone have a translation for Caesar's Camp is Attacked by Belgians, or knows where I could possibly find one?

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

I have the book, but not an answer key. What chapter is that?, and tomorrow I'll post my translation if I've got one (so long as everybody promises not to laugh).

katexedge
Textkit Neophyte

Post by katexedge »

It is Chapter 24, and ANYTHING at all would be really appreciated, I've been struggling through this thing with no luck at all.

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

The last paragraph:
Caesari omnia uno tempore erant agenda: vexillum ponendum, signum tuba dandum, quod eos iussit arma tollere; a labore revocandi milites; acies paranda. Quarum rerum magnam partem brevitas temporis et hostium adventus impediebat. Itaque duces, propter propinquitatem et celeritatem hostium, Caesaris imperium non exspectabant, sed per se ea quae videbantur faciebant.

We agree on the first sentence:
Caesar had to do everything at once: raise the flag, sound the trumpet, which ordered them to pick up their weapons, to call back the soldiers from their labours, and to prepare the battle lines.

The second sentence got me baffled until I identified the two nouns in the nominative: brevitas temporis the shortness of time and hostium adventus the approach of the enemy. Now although there are two nouns, the verb impediebat is only singular, but it applies to both nouns, so they both were impeding. They must have been impeding something in the accusative: magnam partem a large part . A large part of what? quarum rerum of which matters (i.e. the raising of the flag etc). The shortness of time, and the approach of the enemy were impeding a large part of these preparations.

After that, the last sentence doesn't need much discussion.
Therefore, because of the proximity and the speed of the enemy, the leaders were not waiting for Caesar's commands, but by themselves were doing as they saw best.
Last edited by phil on Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katexedge
Textkit Neophyte

Post by katexedge »

Thank you so much !

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

phil rocks.

:)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

katexedge
Textkit Neophyte

Post by katexedge »

Yeah he does ! three cheers for phil

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

aw shucks... :oops:

gfreek3
Textkit Neophyte

full key?

Post by gfreek3 »

I have been having trouble with the 38 latin stories too, and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a full key for the book. I would post specific translation questions, but they are too many in number and occur weekly.

gfreek3

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: full key?

Post by benissimus »

gfreek3 wrote:I have been having trouble with the 38 latin stories too, and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a full key for the book. I would post specific translation questions, but they are too many in number and occur weekly.

gfreek3
With no offense intended, if you are having problems with translating everything you read, you probably need to go back and do some heavy review or maybe get a tutor. Reading how translations are supposed to be might clarify things, but it won't really teach you Latin and you will only be converting into English and not understanding the Latin.

It's natural to have difficulty with the language, but you really will benefit more from understanding where your mistakes were and not from seeing merely what you should have done.
Last edited by benissimus on Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

phil
Textkit Fan

Re: full key?

Post by phil »

gfreek3 wrote:I have been having trouble with the 38 latin stories too, and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a full key for the book. I would post specific translation questions, but they are too many in number and occur weekly.
Weekly! That's nothing! When I was going through Wheelock, I was posting questions daily, even hourly a times. Do post questions here, that's what this forum is all about after all. After sucking all that knowledge from the board members, I'm only too happy to give something back where I can.
Mind you, as rightly Benissimus says, if you are having too many problems, you may be trying to go too quickly. Try to identify exactly what each problem is. There is nothing in the 38 stories (other than vocab) which isn't taught in Wheelock (assuming you're using Wheelock), so if you're stuck, you may have glossed over or misunderstood something in your study.