Harry Potter in our favorite languages

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:Harry Potter in our favorite languages

Post by benissimus » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:39 am

It could also be Potter, Pottri... but it's more likely to keep his name recognizable by preserving the "E".<br /><br />You forget that in Greek, the apostrophe stands for "H"!<br /><br />Harrios Potter kai ho tou philosophou lithos 8)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:09 am

maybe it will be: o xari potter, as it is in modern greek.
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:35 am

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=94;start=30#1198 date=1057898358]<br />It could also be Potter, Pottri... but it's more likely to keep his name recognizable by preserving the "E".<br /><br />You forget that in Greek, the apostrophe stands for "H"!<br /><br />Harrios Potter kai ho tou philosophou lithos 8)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />beniss you have much reason! pottri pottro rum ro...indeed that would be correct...but you have yet more reason in your statement about the recognizing of potter :)<br /><br />You know Sirius? Would the genitive be Siri -ius ending? With plural still Sirii?<br /><br /><br />Heh yeah, someone needs to inform me about all the stupid accents and things in greek. I just know the raw alphabet I suck I know :P<br /><br />
phpbb

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:13 pm

Yup, Episcopus, the genitive of Sirius would be Sirii.<br /><br />And don't be slamming yourself because you "only" know the greek alphabet! Consider how few people actually know that much, how much Latin you already know, and that you haven't had opportunity (yet) to get into the Greek! Wait for it! It will happen!<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:25 pm

;D thanks I need a boost of confidence after looking at those GCSE set texts! <br /><br />so genitive is Sirii? what about those special -ius endings like cornelius, i not ii?<br /><br />eheu
phpbb

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:00 am

Words with double I's were accepted during the Augustan era. During the Ciceronian era, however, this construction was either rare or unheard of. <br /><br />Augustan- Consilium, Consilii<br />Ciceronian- Consilium, Consili<br /><br />Augustan- Harrius, Harrii<br />Ciceronian- Harrius, Harri<br /><br />Since they are both regarded as Classical eras, you can choose whichever pattern you like. Most books, though, teach the Augustan rules, and you will be more likely to be understood by Latin speakers.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:54 am

D'ooge stresses that it is one i in genitive sing. and two i's in plural nom. <br /><br />/bangs table
phpbb

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:29 pm

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=94;start=30#1273 date=1058041505]<br /> <br />so genitive is Sirii? what about those special -ius endings like cornelius, i not ii?<br /><br />eheu<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well, Sirius is the brightest star in the sky, too, right? And all the constellation names are in Latin, and the stars in them are all in the genitive of the constellation and.... well... if you do some astronomy reading and/or hang out with astronomers you trip over genitives of Sirius. (Sirius is a double star, so you hear about Alpha and Beta Sirii..... And then Sirius itself is Alpha Canis Majoris......) So all that just is a long way of saying that my info in this case isn't exactly classical........ Go with Benissimus' explanation. (The explanation Benissimi.)<br /><br />Kilmeny
phpbb

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:03 pm

yay Benissimi<br /><br />
phpbb

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:43 pm

I say all names that can be declined SHALL BE DECLINED! Woo!<br /><br />Btw, second declension adjectives were always declined. <br /><br />Singular Plural<br />Eximius Eximii<br />Eximii Eximiorum<br /><br /><br />Would the vocative be "Eximie" or "Eximi"?