Gk & Lat audio

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Gk & Lat audio

Post by Koala »

I have come across a site (http://wiredforbooks.org/) that purports to have audio recordings in "Real" format of Book 1 of the Iliad, and Book IV of the Aeneid. However, I have been unable to play them, since an error message states 'these are not true RealAudio files'.<br />Can I ask if anyone has heard these excerpts, what one needs to play them, what they think of the readings/recordings and whether they consider them of use in learning?<br />... With thanks

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re:Gk & Lat audio

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I was able to successfully listen to the audio files.<br /><br />I thinkyou might need to install the free Real One Player<br />http://www.real.com/realone/?PV=11<br /><br />look around for the free version of the player the site makes it a bit difficult to find because they want you to purchase the upgraded version.<br /><br />jeff<br />
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

That Latin pronunciation chills me to my very bones
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

This Finnish radio station has a weekly round up of international news in Latin. You can listen in and read transcripts at: http://www.yle.fi/fbc/latini/summary.html<br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

http://dekart.f.bg.ac.yu/~vnedeljk/VV/<br /><br />I love this site too ;D<br /><br />Awesome pronunciation just as I imagined and beniss. was right too =)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Vir infirmus copia cibo est ???<br /><br /><br />What is this guy on?!<br /><br />Only word I caught was postquam =)<br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I could figure out most of his words, but I was nowhere near understanding what he was saying. He sounded very emotional (loud). I think my Latin accent is superior 8)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Vir infirmus copia cibo est <---what the hell does this mean? it doesnt make sense!<br /><br />That guy was a freak.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Koala link=board=6;threadid=203;start=0#968 date=1056721605]http://wiredforbooks.org/[/quote]<br /><br />I can't seem to load this website... ???<br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=203;start=0#1051 date=1057354599]<br />Vir infirmus copia cibo est <---what the hell does this mean? it doesnt make sense!<br /><br />That guy was a freak. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />The man is ill from not having an abundance of food?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=203;start=0#1034 date=1057260716]<br />http://dekart.f.bg.ac.yu/~vnedeljk/VV/[/quote]<br /><br />This is a neat site ! I downloaded Virgil Aeneid 4.9-29 and have it playing repeated. My first impression was that Latin sounded very soft spoken. But after listening to this for a while I find it very soothing to listen to...<br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

<br />
<br />The man is ill from not having an abundance of food?<br />
<br /><br />That's what I was thinking, I would have said it as:<br /><br />Vir infirmus inopia cibi est...<br /><br />but that is what confused me, the 'est' at the end. <br /><br />So would it be like 'The man IS weak because of lack of food'<br /><br />because normally I would have written it <br /><br />Vir est infirmus inopia cibi...<br /><br />This language...<br /><br />hic haec hanc hoc aahhhh! ;D

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Vir infirmus copia cibo est <br /><br />The man is ill (because of) an abundance of food?<br /><br />A comment on diseases of affluence, perhaps?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I was thinking of it as an ablative of separation. Literally "The man is sick (away from) an abundance of (literally- 'by') food."

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Vir infirmus copia cibo est <br /><br />--nice theory bingley! <br /><br /><br />cogito eum verbum venire ex meo episcopo!<br /><br />wild stab at that sentence<br /><br />it's basically in my opinion fuxored and I read it somewhere!