word order emphasis

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
spqr
Textkit Fan

word order emphasis

Post by spqr »

Whhelock does not touch on this to any great degree and so I have learned the importance of word order regarding emphasis from other sources. Once I learned this I found my English to Latin translations in the workbook matched the answer key most of the time. When I don't do a translation correctly I don't know if I am missing Wheelock's intentions or if, in these cases, the word really is not important and Wheelock is just demonstrating that there are indeed times when word order is a matter of free choice.
Any one else have this same problem?

Sceptra Tenens
Textkit Member

Re: word order emphasis

Post by Sceptra Tenens »

The word order is really insignificant at beginning levels, and of relatively little importance even at advanced levels, except when grammar is involved.

For myself, I like to write words as they come to my head. After that, if the sentence just doesn't sound like it flows well when read aloud, sometimes I will change the order just a little bit to make it easier to read.
mihi iussa capessere fas est

spqr
Textkit Fan

Re: word order emphasis

Post by spqr »

The thing I find frustrating is that one of the sections of each chapter workbook involves translating a few sentences from English to Latin using "standard word order" as instructed but since my translations do not always equate with the answer key then Wheelock must have had something else in mind.