Hey, all

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Luke Harusame
Textkit Neophyte

Hey, all

Post by Luke Harusame »

Hey everyone. I'm new here, so I thought I'd just pop a note in. You can all call me Luke.

I'm a serious language maniac in that language is basically the most crazy awesome thing I can think of to devote my time to, so many of you probably have a lot in common with me :P Japanese is my first "love" you could say (though I really don't know much of it, and what I did know I've gotten way rusty on), and from there there's Spanish, and whatever else I can conjure up to learn.

So, actually, I suppose I'm a bit curious: What were your first languages? What languages do you know/are you currently learning? What languages do you suggest? Not like I plan on packing loads of different languages into my brain at once, but I'm just wondering.

Anyway, I hope to be active here in the future, and I hope you'll all find my company good :D

Ireclan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ireclan »

Welcome!

My language that I'm currently learning is Latin, but someday I hope to learn Homeric Greek too, just because I'm so impressed with their mythology.

I hope you have a good time here.

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Willkommen

Post by rustymason »

Salve, Luke!
(Hallo)

Quid agis?
(How are you?)

Mihi pergratum est te convenire.
(It's a pleasure to meet you.)

Vale,
(Bye, be well)

When we began schooling our children at home, I suddenly developed an interest in several languages all at once: Latin, Greek, Welsh, and German.

Rusticus Lapidarius

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Salve Luce!

I studied Japanese in highschool, but, as high school language classes go, today I retain almost none of it. Otherwise, my first langauge is Latin. I enjoy reading (or trying to read) Latin, Italian, and Spanish, and these days I'm fighting to bring Greek and Persian up to snuff... someday.
Last edited by thesaurus on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Hey, all

Post by annis »

Luke Harusame wrote:I'm a serious language maniac in that language is basically the most crazy awesome thing I can think of to devote my time to, so many of you probably have a lot in common with me
You'll fit right in. :)
So, actually, I suppose I'm a bit curious: What were your first languages?

I had to content myself with what high school offered — German — until I moved to a city with a large library, at which point Old English and Gothic cemented my language addiction. In college I majored in Classical Chinese (with dabblings in Japanese and Sanskrit), a year of Latin and Greek each, before freaking out and getting out of Texas. When I picked up my college career again I ended up getting a degree in psychology (focus on brain chemistry and rat dispatching). Through convolutions too extended to go into, I ended up working in computing. After working for a few years I picked up a textbook of Homeric Greek and haven't stopped since.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Luke Harusame
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Luke Harusame »