Perseus

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
auctor
Textkit Member

Perseus

Post by auctor »

Having downloaded the source code and text data from
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/home
I still can't open anything. Anyone got any ideas as to how to proceed?
Ah, better say that my machine is Windows XP
Thanks,

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

I don't really understand what this is supposed to be-- a way to make the Perseus files directly from our computers? That would be a blessing. I can't count the times I was stopped from research due to slow pages' downloads, or just simply server downtime.

I am downloading it, and will try and see if I can get it to work myself. I will post something soon.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

Right, so I downloaded the files and extracted them with WinRar. It is readable, but apparently what this is supposed to do is to make it run on your own computer acting as a server. Unfortunately for me, that is way beyond my technical abilities, so I'll have to pass on the opportunity.

Lisa
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Perseus

Post by Lisa »

Hi,

The SoureForge code download you see is a complete server install, designed for and tested on Linux servers. It requires a good base of Linux knowledge and familiarity. As the code circulates, it is our hope that modular versions of Perseus will emerge.

We are working on virtual machine releases which may provide more of the type of services you are looking for. We are testing this installation as I write this.

Best,
Lisa

auctor
Textkit Member

Post by auctor »

Thank you very much, Lisa, for taking the time to reply. Since I am simply a Windows technoklutz and far from a Linus expert, I shall read between your lines and wait for further news.
Your work is very much appreciated, in that being able to whizz around Gk and Latin texts in order to check quotations, compare lexical usages, and generally to have both canons at one's fingertips is a tremendous boon to scholarship at all levels.
We owe you and your team a tremendous round of applause,
Paul

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Perseus

Post by annis »

Lisa wrote:We are working on virtual machine releases which may provide more of the type of services you are looking for. We are testing this installation as I write this.
That would be a great service! The current multi-day installation procedure is daunting even for someone who does this sort of thing regularly.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I just wish Perseus would WORK... I can never get anything to work on that site anymore. :(
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus