Finals almost over.....WARNING....whining thread!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Kopio
Global Moderator

Finals almost over.....WARNING....whining thread!

Post by Kopio »

I don't know about you guys, but I've been up to my neck in final exams and papers, papers, papers, papers....

I've turned in 4 papers this last week, and I still have one more to go. And what's up with grad school.....they don't let you double space anymore! So when they say they want a 12-15 page paper they REALLY want a 12-15 page paper! So far I've only had 3 that length, with one more to go due on Friday...oh yeah, and an ethics exam I have to take tomorrow.

It can't go any worse than my patristics theology exam though....I bombed it hard! I rarely do poorly on tests, but this was perhaps my worst yet!

So.....let's hear your whining....we can commiserate together (I can't believe I just wrote commiserate....proof positive I've been writing too many papers!)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

lol, sorry to hear about your school stress...

with only three classes, I have nothing to complain about... both of my exams so far have gone well. I just have one more and it isn't until Tuesday. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

Three A's so far. I fear this may be the first Latin that I will suffer a B+ instead of an A. Alas, thus is the fate of losing a car (to an accident that wasn't your fault) and working too many hours to pay bills, while stacking up the extra work at school. Dare I even suggest to stop procrastinating? Nah. But it's all over with now. What's done is done.

Socrates the Cyborg
Textkit Neophyte

Finals

Post by Socrates the Cyborg »

Well, I only had one actual final exam, but between finalizing the massive amounts of paper work and meetings I've had to do to study abroad, applying to graduate schools, and getting the end of the semester stuff ready I have been swamped.

That one final though, I doubt anyone has ever had anything like it. 120 multiple choice questions was the first section. Then there were 3-5 (it all ran together) sections requiring a variety of carefully worded sentences, diagrams, and identifications. Then came the 400 (out of about 1000 total) point problems section. We had two hours to work. I worked for two hours straight, I didn't linger on any of the ones I didn't really know and by the end of the exam I had just started on that problems section. So I literally failed the exam before it was curved. It just doesn't make alot of sense to me to write an exam that basically everyone will fail, and then have to curve it up multiple letter grades for everyone. (That's what happened on the midterm in this class). Anyway, it's over now and I did ok in the class in the end.

ndansmith
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Finals almost over.....WARNING....whining thread!

Post by ndansmith »

Kopio wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I've been up to my neck in final exams and papers, papers, papers, papers....

I've turned in 4 papers this last week, and I still have one more to go. And what's up with grad school.....they don't let you double space anymore! So when they say they want a 12-15 page paper they REALLY want a 12-15 page paper! So far I've only had 3 that length, with one more to go due on Friday...oh yeah, and an ethics exam I have to take tomorrow.

It can't go any worse than my patristics theology exam though....I bombed it hard! I rarely do poorly on tests, but this was perhaps my worst yet!

So.....let's hear your whining....we can commiserate together (I can't believe I just wrote commiserate....proof positive I've been writing too many papers!)
I match your whine and raise you a bellyache. :-)

I am 2/3 done with my final paper, due tomorrow.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Oh yeah....well I am only half way done with my paper and it is due in 4 hours! So there....

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

Hey, I think my crowning achievement was an 18 page paper on Vergil finished in 6 hours. I think I did it well, though, all things considered. I pray my professor feels the same way.

Chris

CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Post by CanadianGirl »

I had a bad scare-got a 45 (!!) on one final. I was frenetic, but everybody's grade was so low they figured out the computer was mal-functioning, & gave everybody 42 extra points. Whatever happened to grading by hand? Hey Kopio-when they eliminate double-spacing, the next logical step is to widen the margins. And of course, a little padding never hurt anything. Paige.

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

These are the best times of your lives. What can you be complaining about ? having so much pleasure at studying, and writing what you think. It will never be so good after that...

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

jk0592 wrote:These are the best times of your lives. What can you be complaining about ? having so much pleasure at studying, and writing what you think. It will never be so good after that...
whether one chooses to be a student or not, life is full of stress. Exam time is the height of it...

I have always found school to be much tougher than the "real world" of working full time. At least with work you go, and go home. You get your evenings and weekends. With school, you don't get that (and since I work two jobs and go to school I don't even get days off). So I don't buy the "just wait until you're done" line. Been there, done that. School is much tougher (and also much more rewarding).

Anyway, back on topic--my last exam is tomorrow, Italian!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

At least with work you go, and go home. You get your evenings and weekends.
Well I am sorry to contradict you, but in many professions, you have to spend time on work both at night and during the weekends, and you are not really paid for this, as it is considered part of normal activities.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

jk0592 wrote:
At least with work you go, and go home. You get your evenings and weekends.
Well I am sorry to contradict you, but in many professions, you have to spend time on work both at night and during the weekends, and you are not really paid for this, as it is considered part of normal activities.
then maybe you need a new job. :P

I don't work overtime for free.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

klewlis wrote: So I don't buy the "just wait until you're done" line. Been there, done that. School is much tougher (and also much more rewarding).
Those who say that the stress doesn't start until after you're done school are guilty of generalizing. Not everyone handles the stress of school the same. Neither does everyone handle the stress of a job, raising kids and whatever other duties they may have after school the same way.
You are just as guilty. The only difference is that the pendulum has swung waaay over to the other end of its reach.

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

Only three A's and two A-'s. :(

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Bert wrote:
klewlis wrote: So I don't buy the "just wait until you're done" line. Been there, done that. School is much tougher (and also much more rewarding).
Those who say that the stress doesn't start until after you're done school are guilty of generalizing. Not everyone handles the stress of school the same. Neither does everyone handle the stress of a job, raising kids and whatever other duties they may have after school the same way.
You are just as guilty. The only difference is that the pendulum has swung waaay over to the other end of its reach.
may or may not be true... it just irks me when people say, "oh, you're just a student, that's not hard, wait until you have a job", etc. Try having a full-time job, a part-time job, and three classes. :roll:

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

Exams are such joyous events, giving yourself the oppotunity to show how much you know. This is really a lot of fun.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Well....I'm glad I'm done now. I just got news from one of my profs that he IS going to accept my final paper. I could have sweared that he said it was due Friday at 5:30PM, which is what another classmate of mine also heard. So, I was very surprised when I went to drop it off to him at 4:30 and his secretary said he was gone and all of his papers were supposed to be in by 4PM!!!

Panic attack ensued....I took several deep breaths, went home and smoked an excellent cigar (A Diamond Crown Perfecto with a Maduro wrap) and then wrote him an e-mail. He wrote back today and much to my surprise said not to worry about it, he had probably misspoken. He's definitely going on my Christmas card list :)

Anyhow....grades are coming, right now I'm grading first year Greek translations, I'm almost half way through, and they are mind-numbing....well....back to the salt-mines :(