Hello from a new member

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Tuppence
Textkit Neophyte

Hello from a new member

Post by Tuppence »

Hello.

Introducing myself. My name is Penny, I'm 60 years of age and have just begun to learn Latin. I didn't learn as a child, no languages were offered at the school I attended.

I'm taking lessons through the U3A (University of the Third Age), a charitable organisation where interested people can share their skills with others. My neighbour runs the Latin class for our local U3A group. It's free, the only proviso being over the age of 50 or retired, and an interest in whatever subject is taken up, of course! I've always had a yearning to learn Latin, don't know where it comes from as my parents and family weren't particularly scholarly. The English language has always interested me, its history and roots.

I'm finding the "flashcards" I can create and use on-line at "WordChamp" very useful.

I live in Wiltshire in England and have three dogs and a large garden. I don't have a car, walk a lot, and cycle. I'm also a Sustrans Cycleway Ranger. :)

The internet has opened up my world and I've met many interesting people through it.

Bye.

p.s. Do I upload an avatar to a gallery here and then use it in my posts? Thank you.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Salve!
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Tuppence
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Tuppence »

Gratia, Lucus eques. :)

lozzic
Textkit Neophyte

Post by lozzic »

Salve! :) it's nice to meet you. I have only recently started learning Latin myself it's a beautiful language don't you think? As for your avatar you don't upload to this site, you have to upload on to a file hosting service and then put the link in to your profile section on this site. I use the file service ImageShack, it's fairly self explanatory. Basically you go to this site http://www.imageshack.us/ click on where it says 'browse', find the avatar on your PC and then click 'Host it'. After this you will be presented with a page of links, scroll until you find a box labelled 'Direct link to image' copy the link in the box. After this come to this website, enter your 'profile' page (accessible at the top of these forum pages) then scroll down to 'Link to off-site Avatar:' and paste the link there. After submitting your profile the avatar should appear.

:D

Tuppence
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Tuppence »

Thank you, Iozzic, and thank you for the link. I'll do that. Yes, it is a beautiful language.

Penny :)

AgoNxRuS
Textkit Neophyte

Post by AgoNxRuS »

*zot* — Deleted by moderator.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

AgoNxRuS, you say something like that again to a new member and you will be banned.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Hello from a new member

Post by Gonzalo »

Tuppence wrote:Hello.

Introducing myself. My name is Penny, I'm 60 years of age and have just begun to learn Latin. I didn't learn as a child, no languages were offered at the school I attended.

I'm taking lessons through the U3A (University of the Third Age), a charitable organisation where interested people can share their skills with others. My neighbour runs the Latin class for our local U3A group. It's free, the only proviso being over the age of 50 or retired, and an interest in whatever subject is taken up, of course! I've always had a yearning to learn Latin, don't know where it comes from as my parents and family weren't particularly scholarly. The English language has always interested me, its history and roots.

I'm finding the "flashcards" I can create and use on-line at "WordChamp" very useful.

I live in Wiltshire in England and have three dogs and a large garden. I don't have a car, walk a lot, and cycle. I'm also a Sustrans Cycleway Ranger. :)

The internet has opened up my world and I've met many interesting people through it.

Bye.

p.s. Do I upload an avatar to a gallery here and then use it in my posts? Thank you.
Hello, Tuppence:
Nice to feel your enthusiasm for Latin!
Welcome.

Tuppence
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Tuppence »

Hello and thank you, Gonzalo.

Penny

Tuppence
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Tuppence »

And thanks, annis, for keeping an eye on things!

Penny

Bob Manske
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bob Manske »

Welcome aboard, Penny.
Enjoy learning Latin, as I'm sure you will. There's a lot of expertise in this group and they are willing to help. And don't omit taking advantage of all the free downloads. There's a wealth of information and texts here.
Bob

Tuppence
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Tuppence »

Hello and thank you, Bob. I'm pleased to have come across the site, and to know there are people to help and advise me.

I'll certainly take a look at the downloads. :)

AgoNxRuS
Textkit Neophyte

Post by AgoNxRuS »

annis wrote:AgoNxRuS, you say something like that again to a new member and you will be banned.
Thank you for the warning. Image

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Welcome, Penny

Post by rustymason »

Salve, Penny! Bonam Fortunam, et Vale!

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Greetings Penny!

I hope you enjoy your stay here. With the exception of Agon you'll find most of us a very pleasant lot. I love to garden! Is your garden mostly vegetable, or flower? I post pictures of my flowers every now and then, you should by all means do the same if it strikes your fancy.

Tuppence
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Tuppence »

Hello and thank you, Kopio. I'm pleased you enjoyed the photos of my garden. It's all very wet here at the moment. The garden is mostly flowers and plants, with a vegetable plot at the bottom of the back garden. I'm waiting to have raised beds put in for the vegetables. I became interested in climbing roses when I decided to plant some on the trellis that I had put up to stop my whippet escaping, and my roses are mostly that sort, though I have some bushes in the little front garden.

I look forward to your flower photos and am sure I'll post some of mine in the future.

:)

Tuppence
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Tuppence »

Hello, rustymason, and thanks for your welcome. :)