The Iliad, new version

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
elduce
Textkit Member

The Iliad, new version

Post by elduce » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:05 am

Has anyone read the latest version of The Iliad? It was published in 1997 and the cover features U.S. soldiers at Normandy in WW2. The author translated the work into English. Although I never read Homer's version, I loved this one for its vivid descriptions of battles, gods and heroes. I was, however, puzzled that the poem ended soon after Achilles killed Hector. Is Homer's version like this? I had always assumed that Homer wrote about the Trojan Horse and how the Greeks took Troy. (I was also grossly misled by Hollywood's 2004 movie version - an absolute joke.)

Thanks
ego amo megaforce

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Re: The Iliad, new version

Post by perispomenon » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:03 am

elduce wrote:I had always assumed that Homer wrote about the Trojan Horse and how the Greeks took Troy.
No, the Iliad ends with the funeral of Hector. The Trojan horse is mentioned somewhere in the Odyssey I think [edit], in book IV, line 272.

I guess you read Stanley Lombardo's translation; I think it is very good, follows the original quite closely, in very contemporary and lively English.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:02 pm

perispomenon wrote:
elduce wrote:I had always assumed that Homer wrote about the Trojan Horse and how the Greeks took Troy.
No, the Iliad ends with the funeral of Hector. The Trojan horse is mentioned somewhere in the Odyssey I think [edit], in book IV, line 272.
I had a catalogue from a reputable book company not too long ago that offered a version of the Iliad, and in the little summary it included something like "Hear the story of the infamous Trojan Horse." I should have scanned it and posted it here. Maybe it's still around in this mess somewhere.

EDIT: Here it is online, still with the same claim:
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486408833.html
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:26 pm

edonnelly wrote:I had a catalogue from a reputable book company not too long ago that offered a version of the Iliad, and in the little summary it included something like "Hear the story of the infamous Trojan Horse.
Hmm, I checked the last line of my Loeb edition of the Iliad and it is about the funeral of Hector.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:32 pm

perispomenon wrote:
edonnelly wrote:I had a catalogue from a reputable book company not too long ago that offered a version of the Iliad, and in the little summary it included something like "Hear the story of the infamous Trojan Horse.
Hmm, I checked the last line of my Loeb edition of the Iliad and it is about the funeral of Hector.
No, I absolutely agree with you. I suspect the little review was written by someone who hadn't read the Iliad, which is why I remember it in the first place.

I believe the "real" story of the Trojan Horse was in one of the lost books from the "Epic Cycle" (the Little Iliad, I believe). Vergil included the story in the Aeneid, but that was obviously written much later (I don't know if he had the Little Iliad available to him or not, I'm sure someone here knows, though).
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

AgoNxRuS
Textkit Neophyte

Post by AgoNxRuS » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:18 am

elduce wrote:Has anyone read the latest version of The Iliad? It was published in 1997 and the cover features U.S. soldiers at Normandy in WW2. The author translated the work into English. Although I never read Homer's version, I loved this one for its vivid descriptions of battles, gods and heroes. I was, however, puzzled that the poem ended soon after Achilles killed Hector. Is Homer's version like this? I had always assumed that Homer wrote about the Trojan Horse and how the Greeks took Troy. (I was also grossly misled by Hollywood's 2004 movie version - an absolute joke.)

Thanks
I would censor a certain part, because it might considered a spoiler for those who have yet to read the bloody book.
phpbb

quendidil
Textkit Member

Post by quendidil » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:57 am

AgoNxRuS wrote:
elduce wrote:Has anyone read the latest version of The Iliad? It was published in 1997 and the cover features U.S. soldiers at Normandy in WW2. The author translated the work into English. Although I never read Homer's version, I loved this one for its vivid descriptions of battles, gods and heroes. I was, however, puzzled that the poem ended soon after Achilles killed Hector. Is Homer's version like this? I had always assumed that Homer wrote about the Trojan Horse and how the Greeks took Troy. (I was also grossly misled by Hollywood's 2004 movie version - an absolute joke.)

Thanks
I would censor a certain part, because it might considered a spoiler for those who have yet to read the bloody book.
Lol, are you kidding? If the news that Harry Potter survived in the last book couldn't last 1 day after release what makes you think a 2,700 year old book has any spoilers left? :D

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:02 pm

edonnelly wrote:I believe the "real" story of the Trojan Horse was in one of the lost books from the "Epic Cycle" (the Little Iliad, I believe). Vergil included the story in the Aeneid, but that was obviously written much later (I don't know if he had the Little Iliad available to him or not, I'm sure someone here knows, though).
From my understanding, Vergil includes and reworks a tradition of the Trojan horse, though some of it is his own creation (like Laocoon, which I believe was at first part of a different cycle). Vergil's the earliest surviving telling of the Trojan horse, though traditions of it go back hundreds of years before him.

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:36 pm

Homer touches upon it in the Odyssey, book IV, line 272.
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl

zagreus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by zagreus » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:37 am

Is this whole post serious?

Jesus wept.

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:55 am

I certainly thought it was.
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:40 pm

edonnelly wrote:I believe the "real" story of the Trojan Horse was in one of the lost books from the "Epic Cycle" (the Little Iliad, I believe). Vergil included the story in the Aeneid, but that was obviously written much later (I don't know if he had the Little Iliad available to him or not, I'm sure someone here knows, though).
The Horse and the destruction of Troy would be in the Ilioupersis, as the name suggests. Which unfortunately doesn't bring us any closer to being able to read it :(

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:40 am

zagreus wrote:Is this whole post serious?

Jesus wept.
:?: