Rosetta Stone online language learning

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Diane
Textkit Neophyte

Rosetta Stone online language learning

Post by Diane » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:58 am

My public library is offerring me access to this.

Spanish, French, Italian, German and English.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:27 am

A little bit with Korean. My sister had some luck with Arabic, I didn't find it so appealing.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:01 pm

I've been wondering for quite some time about how well the Rosetta Stone system works. I've considered it myself to brush up on my German and possibly learn French. I'll be interested to see if anyone from this site has had much success with it.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:14 pm

I get it free from my library, too, but I find that it is just so boring I can't do it. I know some people swear by it, and we all learn differently, but I just didn't feel it was worth the effort.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

AgoNxRuS
Textkit Neophyte

Post by AgoNxRuS » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:41 pm

My personal opinion is that it sucks. A lot.
phpbb

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:29 am

AgoNxRuS wrote:My personal opinion is that it sucks. A lot.
lol!

Of course I suppose you wouldn't have any other kind of opinion than a personal one though, would you? (Sorry, my English teacher used to blast me on that one all the time!)

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:02 am

Kopio, you have pointed it out. If you have not realized already (it´s sarcasm) this guy hasn´t got any other collaboration or consideration towards any other Textkitten that "advising" Mingshey to give up learning a language, and such other things. I wonder if it is rational. He is at a Classics forum!
Last edited by Gonzalo on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:52 am

Maximus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Maximus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:50 pm

I had a go at the latin version and I concur with the others. It moves ahead so very slowly, that I wonder to whom it is geared. But perhaps the modern language versions are better in this respect?

For learning modern languages I recommend to you the "Pimsleur" series, with which I've had much success. Perhaps your public library is offering it aswell?

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:08 pm

I tried that software in a couple of languages but found it somewhat boring. A succession of images and possible options gets tiresome in awhile. But I did learn a couple of words in Greek: σκυλος και αγο?ι :lol: Now Pimsleur is something apart: I have heard parts of the Japanese course and it even has interesting cultural tips (not to mention hilarious in some cases, like the one were two mothers were discussing which of their sons was the dumbest).

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:23 pm

mingshey wrote:I'm one of the simple minded men who needs several conflicting voices to keep on the middle way. 8)
I'll keep that in mind and try to keep you in the middle ;)

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:46 pm

Maximus wrote:For learning modern languages I recommend to you the "Pimsleur" series, with which I've had much success. Perhaps your public library is offering it aswell?
I agree that Pimsleur is pretty good. I've been through all of their spanish series (I, II, III, Plus) and learned quite a lot (though it still doesn't get you conversational). I'm currently going through Italian. I get these free through my library (both downloadable or on CD).
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:39 am

Kopio wrote: Of course I suppose you wouldn't have any other kind of opinion than a personal one though, would you? (Sorry, my English teacher used to blast me on that one all the time!)
I personally myself don't have a personal opinion on that.

skullaria
Textkit Neophyte

Post by skullaria » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:51 pm

The Chattanooga Library has a 30 dollar online library card that is available. (It is 20 if you are within so many miles, and free if you are there.) Find their site on Google, and call them and ask them to mail you an online card application. I did - had to send a copy of my driver's license and the check - and my card got here in 3 days.

Anyway, with this 30.00 card you can access Rosetta Stone at home for one year. It is 30 languages that they offer.

We like it - but it is not all we are using.

I would caution anyone against buying the software. We did - paid about 200.00 for Latin 1, finished it, and was by then using the Chattanooga librarycard - so we went to sell it on eBay. Rosetta Stone stopped the auction - they stop ALL auctions - and say their software is a service that is NONTRANSFERRABLE and that you don't really own it, so you can't sell it.

They say all that is in the EULA but I don't know as my son installed it. I'm sure it is - but there is a court case by the EFF over issues such as this. I hope the EFF wins. I have really bad ire towards them now. It seems a dishonest way to stifle competition for their new products.