Italian

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Italian

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

Anyone know of a good group or website with a supportive community (like Textkit) to learn Italian? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Seán
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I wish I knew myself, Seán. In the meantime, I know Italian quite well, so I can answer any of your questions to the best of my ability.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Well you can always try wordreference.com which comes with a dictionary (truth be told it's the dictionary that comes with forums :D ).

Following this link will take you to the Italian subforums of wordreference.com (the threads etc appear locked till you register but you can browse them as much as you want).

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Lucus Eques wrote:I wish I knew myself, Seán. In the meantime, I know Italian quite well, so I can answer any of your questions to the best of my ability.
Anch´io parlo la lingua toscana.
I also offer my assistance to you, Seán.
I found this one: http://www.mylanguageexchange.com/Learn/Italian.asp
but anyway what post Irene is better than this one. I have heard good words about WordReference.com.
Last edited by Gonzalo on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

What do you think about creating "Italian" Board in the Latin Forum, and a "Modern Greek" board in the Greek Forum?

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I rather like that idea.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Lucus Eques wrote:I rather like that idea.
Scope-creep! Follow that path and soon Textkit will become Orbis Latinus.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Well, for the Greek part at least, for any member that has a question and doesn't want to go outside textkit why not post it in Learn Greek with an MG notification on the thread subject? It's not as good as having a separate section but I am not sure we can "handle" such a thing right now.

And I am not sure I can personally handle having to deal, in this forum too, with all those posts that crop up after every summer with requests such as "HELP PLZZZZ!!!!!!!! Can U translate 'I love you my sweet honeybun and I'll be your cute little cupid forever and ever' " :D

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

IreneY wrote: "HELP PLZZZZ!!!!!!!! Can U translate 'I love you my sweet honeybun and I'll be your cute little cupid forever and ever' " :D
These sorts of translation requests almost always end up in the Latin area. For some reason Greek doesn't seem as grand or spooky, which is a shame, really. I still have fond memories of the diluo pravus incident.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

Mille grazie, amichi! Ho trovato un grupo qui -

http://www.impariamo.com/forum/
E Lucus e Gonzalo, grazie a voi particolaremente. Quando avró bisogno di aiuto, cerceró voi! :D

And I found an exchange partner to help me, too: Italian-Gaelic as her English is already as good as mine, not to mention her superior command of French and German and Russian... You just gotta love (and envy) polyglots. :roll:

Seán
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

This forum is a great site for discussing the learning of any modern language:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/default.asp

Also, here's a learning-Italian podcast I came upon that seems promising (I've only listened to a small bit of it so far):

http://www.learnitalianpod.com/ (there are both beginner and intermediate sections, I think the beginner one finished after 50 posts)

I've been working on Pimsleur's Italian with the ultimate goal of reading Dante, but it takes a second seat to Pharr right now, so my progress isn't that great.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Ed, would modern italian allow you to read Dante? (perhaps with a background in latin)
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

edonnelly wrote:Also, here's a learning-Italian podcast I came upon that seems promising (I've only listened to a small bit of it so far):

http://www.learnitalianpod.com/ (there are both beginner and intermediate sections, I think the beginner one finished after 50 posts)
This is great! I'm going to burn them to cd and listen to them in the car... good stuff. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

IreneY wrote:Can U translate 'I love you my sweet honeybun and I'll be your cute little cupid forever and ever' " :D
'Ti amo, mio dolce tesoro e sarò sempre il tuo carino cupidinetto.'

Not too hard. Your turn, Irene. :P

And Kasper, absolutely.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

klewlis wrote:
edonnelly wrote:Also, here's a learning-Italian podcast I came upon that seems promising (I've only listened to a small bit of it so far):

This is great! I'm going to burn them to cd and listen to them in the car... good stuff. :)
listening to these now: so far, so good. They really break down the conversations into the phrases, and there is lots of repetition. And they speak slowly and enunciate, unlike a lot of Italian audio programs! I hate it when you can't even understand what the speakers are saying, but you're supposed to repeat it...

I like this one so far. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Kasper wrote:Ed, would modern italian allow you to read Dante? (perhaps with a background in latin)
My understanding is that much of what is modern Italian became that way because of Dante. I'm not anywhere close to being able to make an opinion on it, but I believe Lucus.
klewlis wrote:I like this one so far. :)
Great. I had heard good things about it. I'll be tackling it soon, too.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Those two at LearnItalianPod are so cute! It's worth it just for their accents! And Impariamo is also stupendous. Looks like we found what we need, amico irlandese.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

I just heard the first podcast on LearnItalianPod, and I liked it! :D The last entry stops at intermediate level, however, and I hope they'll take it up to Advanced as well, that would be fantastic.

Now a question for those of you who are polyglots: would you say it is very difficult, if not impossible, to learn more than 2 languages at the same time? I'm still studying Latin and Ancient Greek, but I'm dying to read some German and Italian. I figure since I've been studying Latin for almost 2 years and am almost "finished" with it (if you could say that), do you think I have a shot if I picked up German anytime soon? After German, I'm going for Italian, which is my favorite language, but, because it sounds so much easier (and a lot like Spanish) I am leaving it 'til last. :P I've heard of people who know several (up to 15 or more!) languages. They couldn't possibly have taken years to learn each one, could they?
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I think you can multitask, Amadeus. I learning Russian, Latin, Greek, and whatever comes my way at the moment. You're obviously an accomplished Latinist and in English as well; picking up a new language will just make the others make more sense in the context of IE languages as a whole.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Thanks Luke! I think I'm gonna go for it, I just need to reach the middle part of my Greek course, which should be only a few weeks away... Deutsch here I come! :P

Vale!

P.S.: I don't know about being an accomplished Latinist... let's say I'm almost "there" :P
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

edonnelly wrote:I've been working on Pimsleur's Italian with the ultimate goal of reading Dante
Dante... I don't know, I have owned a copy of Dante's 'La Divina Commedia' since my teen years, but never felt any urge to read it whole.

After really having learned Italian, I stumbled on a writer whom I would like to place in the spotlight: Luigi Pirandello, especially his 'Novelle per un anno' (all short stories). It is superb reading material, gripping and very close to real life.

I've tried some contemporary Italian literature, but haven't yet found anything as compelling as Pirandello.

Misopogon
Textkit Member

Post by Misopogon »

perispomenon wrote: After really having learned Italian, I stumbled on a writer whom I would like to place in the spotlight: Luigi Pirandello, especially his 'Novelle per un anno' (all short stories). It is superb reading material, gripping and very close to real life.

I've tried some contemporary Italian literature, but haven't yet found anything as compelling as Pirandello.
What about Italo Calvino and Tomasi di Lampedusa?
Regards
Misopogon

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Misopogon wrote:What about Italo Calvino and Tomasi di Lampedusa?
Regards
Misopogon
I was trying to find Italian literature starting from the 1970's (preferably from the nineties and later, to get in touch with more contemporary use of Italian idiom). I tried Benni, Mazzucco, Eco, but wasn't swept away. If you have any recommendations, I would be most grateful!

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Oh, oh, I forgot, I did like Luca Goldoni's 'Se torno a nascere'. Where did I leave that book? :(

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Love ya, Irene! thanks. ;) You rock.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS