Delphic Maxims, or Commandments of the Seven Wise Men

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Democritus
Textkit Fan

Delphic Maxims, or Commandments of the Seven Wise Men

Post by Democritus »

This page has a link to an interesting collection of Delphic Maxims, in both original Greek and English. This collection is also known as the "Commandments of the Seven Wise Men." The link on that page points to a 10-meg PDF file, but it's worth downloading and reading.

http://www.flyallnight.com/khaire/DelphicMaxims/

The article is from 1987, so it's not exactly news, but it's still quite interesting. It describes how scholars used some fragments and inscriptions to assemble an older, perhaps more original collection of sayings than the one preserved by the much later author Stobaeus. Even if that is not interesting in itself, the simple list of sayings in English and Greek is pretty cool.

BTW does anyone know about any published editions of Stobaeus? Apparently two works of his survive, but I had some trouble tracking down any published editions. (Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.) :-)

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

I'll have to check out your link. I'm not familiar with Stobaeus, but it sounds interesting. Did you try Google Books and Internet Archive to see if any of these are what you are looking for?
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Post by Democritus »

Thanks for that link to archive.org, I didn't know about that web site.

At Google I didn't find anything searching for "Stobaeus," but it looks like you can find a full text there if you search for "Stobaios" instead. :-)

Interestingly, the English wikipedia has an article about "Stobaeus," but the German wikipedia has an article about "Stobaios."

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos »

Democritus wrote:Interestingly, the English wikipedia has an article about "Stobaeus," but the German wikipedia has an article about "Stobaios."
In English, it's also Aeschylus and Polybius. Strange how names have to be latinised.