introducing myself

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Atom
Textkit Neophyte

introducing myself

Post by Atom » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:29 pm

Hello, I am a newcomer to this forum. My name is Donald, my nickname is Atom, so Don, Donald or Atom is fine. I am a 74-year old English male, retired. About 40 years ago I learned enough Latin to read and enjoy Book 4 of Virgil's Aeneid and found it one of the most rewarding experiences of my literary life. No English translation could possibly do justice to the way Virgil's language enacted the meaning of what he was saying. I remember the earthiness of the account of Hercules's encounter with Cacus contrasted with the refined and gracious language of Ulysses' diplomatic encounters.
Having read and greatly enjoyed Homer's Odyssey and Iliad in translation, I now want to try to learn enough Greek to read him in the original. I am using the Cambridge Reading Greek series and am up to the beginning of Section 3 in the Text and Vocabulary volume.
Enough for now. More later.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: introducing myself

Post by bedwere » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:58 pm

Welcome, Donald!