Bookstore discovery - Fragmenta Selecta

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
jeidsath
Administrator

Bookstore discovery - Fragmenta Selecta

Post by jeidsath » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:24 pm

https://fragmentaselecta.nl/en/

I made arrangements to visit Fragmenta Selecta while I was in the Netherlands recently. I had purchased a specialty book from them before, and thought that it would be interesting to see their collection. And now, after seeing their shelves, I can't do written justice to the place, the collection, or to the very kind and knowledgeable owners.

The collection was broad and deep, and especially well selected. There were many shelves of OCTs and Teubners, classical scholarship of all descriptions, and ancient history. (Though I am abbreviating their subject coverage, which is on their website.) There was a facsimile of the Codex Oxoniensis Clarkianus that they had just received, which they let me look through, and that I now covet. The one owner is a classicist, and has been doing a catalogue since the 1980s, though they now have an online storefront.

The book quality especially was surprisingly good, I saw no notes or markings on anything, and everything that I came across seemed to be a fine reading copy. There are two other antiquarian bookstores in Amsterdam, and neither of those suffer in comparison to anything that I've seen in the US or the UK, but this puts them both to shame.
Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

cb
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Bookstore discovery - Fragmenta Selecta

Post by cb » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:35 pm

Many thanks for this! I didn't know about this one at all, and now feel acute fear of having missed out... When I used to live in Paris, we had regular training sessions up in the Amsterdam office of our firm, and I used to sneak out during breaks to buy books from the other antiquarian bookstores in Amsterdam (I got a Delphini Vergil from one) or the book market near the Spui; this bookstore though sounds fantastic.

A lot of the antiquarian bookstores are closing down, and so this is a great recommendation, thanks again!

Cheers, Chad

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:36 am

I have never physically visited this bookstore (I wish I had!), but I have ordered from them several times over the years and can highly recommend them. They have always promptly answered any enquiries I might have had and, what's most important, when there was a minor problem once, they dealt with it in an exemplary manner (I ordered a 4 volume set of Mario Meunier's Homer translations, and they accidentally only sent vol 1 of the Iliad and vol 2 of the Odyssey, not noticing that there was also a vol 2 for the Iliad and vol 1 for the Odyssey... a very understandable mistake). Other than this once, the books have always arrived in time and nicely packaged. They sell at least through Abebooks.

This reminds me of when I ordered Lexikon des frühgriechischen Epos from another reputable Dutch seller... It was not a cheap order and opening the box I was dismayed to find that it was full of books on the art of printing ("twee porteretten van uw drukker", "Reizigers in Drukkersland", "Das Buch vom Büchermachen", "Creative Characters - the MyFonts interviews vol 1"), but no sign of LfgrE! I soon found out that the seller had made a mistake and sent my books to the Royal Library in The Hague and their books to me. They were very sorry of course and corrected their mistake promptly.

jeidsath
Administrator

Post by jeidsath » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:38 pm

I mentioned that I had heard of the Lexicon of Epic Greek, and the owner said "oh, you mean the Lexikon des frühgriechischen Epos" and pulled a copy off the shelf for me to look at. (It seemed like a perfect copy if anyone is interested.)
Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com