Hullo

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
horaeotii
Textkit Neophyte

Hullo

Post by horaeotii »

Salvete omnes. My name is Martin and I like the classics. I'm a big fan of speaking Greek and Latin (much better at the former), as well as trying to write and think in these languages.

General interests include classical poetry, classical reception, modern poetry (esp. the British Romantics and 20th c. verse), making music (Sonorized is the name under which I make my immense streaming profits), my cat (Grapes is her name), veganism, and booze. I know a fair chunk of French and Japanese in addition to G/L. I'm torn between starting Akkadian or Arabic. Uh, what else: learning Czech (slowly). I've just been accepted to begin a PhD in Greek and Latin at Hopkins, having wrapped up an MLitt in St Andrews.

Please do follow me on Twitter (@horaeotii) or Insta (@hoursofidleness) and do reach out! I'm happy to be amongst you.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Hullo

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit, Martin!

Sohtnirybal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sohtnirybal »

Hallo.

Wow, I´m Impressed for what you said. You can speak attic? that´s awesome, how you did it? also how long does it take you?
I´m a grekk autodidact student since one year and a half, and sometimes I get anxiety because I didn´t feel I improve my greek, I study almost 5 hours more than less at day, but must of time I just translate a few sentences with some luck of course, I feel this approach is not the best to learn but in the other hand I think is more than natural when you try to reach Tuchidides without eny commentary or whitout even perseus.

I really want to know how you did it, and if I´m able to do it too,

regards
M

horaeotii
Textkit Neophyte

Post by horaeotii »

M!
There are some wonderful resources for speaking Greek, which are considerably different from working with a grammar. That said, there's a fun fusion that comes when listening and speaking the language starts to overlap with how the words look. (I suspect most of us work through our Greek texts by learning to look at the endings of words). I can link you to some resources.
1. Online chats in Greek: https://latinandgreekchats.weebly.com/
2. Chat sheets: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z9u9mv ... LK7yT/view
2. Podcasts (will link when I get home)
3. There are summer programmes you can attend in the USA, Jerusalem, and Europe. Some of these can be very inexpensive. I went to one in KY last summer for one week—$450 with some meals, a room, towels, etc—and, despite having never spoke Greek before was dreaming in Greek by the end of the week. That's not my bragging; that's just how useful immersion is. Check out the Polis Institute for more.

Sohtnirybal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sohtnirybal »

Wow, I haven´t know those pages, seem really awesome.

Well, in my case I had find places to study but all of them are really far from where I am (I live in Argentina) Polis as I understand is Koine Greek, Vivarium novum Is where I really want to study but really is expensive and is very hard to past. I don´t know if Usa are places to learn ancient greek under both approaches the spoken one and also the grammatical and philological one.

Podcasts? Woww those are going to be very useful, I'm going to wait your comment. (KY means Kentuchy, right? and also Where did you go? what´s the name of that institut?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I went to one in KY last summer for one week—$450 with some meals, a room, towels, etc—and, despite having never spoke Greek before was dreaming in Greek by the end of the week.
(KY means Kentuchy, right? and also Where did you go? what´s the name of that institut?
bedwere and I were there as well.

https://www.polisjerusalem.org/lexington
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Ἴδετε·

ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

Post by ἑκηβόλος »

bedwere wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:41 pmἼδετε
ὁ δὲ ἔχων κάλαμον γραφικὸν χαριέντως ὑπέδησεν τὰ ποδεῖα αὐτοῦ καὶ τὰ σάνδαλα.
τί δὲ ἀγαθὸν τῇ πομφόλυγι συνεστώσῃ ἢ κακὸν διαλυθείσῃ;

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Post by Constantinus Philo »

Ούτοι τινες εισι εν τη φωτογραφία;
Semper Fidelis

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

bedwere wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:41 pm Ἴδετε·
Constantinus Philo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:27 am Ούτοι τινες εισι εν τη φωτογραφία;
ἐν ταύτῃ τῇ φωτογραφίᾳ τὸν bedwere βλέπομεν καὶ τὸν jeidsath. λαλοῦσιν δὲ οὗτοι Ἑλληνιστί.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Markos wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:32 pm
bedwere wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:41 pm Ἴδετε·
Constantinus Philo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:27 am Ούτοι τινες εισι εν τη φωτογραφία;
ἐν ταύτῃ τῇ φωτογραφίᾳ τὸν bedwere βλέπομεν καὶ τὸν jeidsath. λαλοῦσιν δὲ οὗτοι Ἑλληνιστί.
τοῦτο δὲ οὐ θαυμαστόν ἐστι; οἵ γε δύο καλλοὶ κ'αγαθοὶ ἄνθρωποι ὄντες τὴν Ἑλληνικὴν αὐτῶν πράσσουσιν.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...