Advice for recitation

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Karagialis
Textkit Neophyte

Advice for recitation

Post by Karagialis » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:19 pm

I'm considering participating to a Greek & Latin recitation contest next month. I couldn't decide on what to read. What do people usually read in these contests? I want to be a bit original though, I don't want to come up with Homer or Aeneid, or Catilina for Latin prose. What would you suggest?

Callisper
Textkit Member

Re: Advice for recitation

Post by Callisper » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:19 am

If you don't want to go for Cicero, you could opt for some Neo-Latin oratory. :lol: Check out for example Giambattista Vico's orations - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=QMG ... &q&f=false.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: Advice for recitation

Post by seneca2008 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:50 pm

It has been argued that Seneca’s tragedies were declaimed rather than acted on stage. Although I disagree with this many passages would be suitable for such a competion. Try the opening of Thyestes or Atreus’s first speech or the Chorus 546- . Atreus’s megalomaniac “Aequalis astris gradior et cunctos super/altum superbo vertice attingens polum”. 885- is another candidate.