Hi. My introduction.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
HumilisAuditor
Textkit Neophyte

Hi. My introduction.

Post by HumilisAuditor » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:01 am

Hello. I'm newly registered here at TextKit and this is my first post. I've been a lurker here for years.

I've been teaching myself Latin for several years. My interests are mainly in Ecclesiastical Latin. One day, I'd like to spend more time reading Golden Age literature, but I think that will be a long way off.

Like many, I've tried several different approaches to learning Latin (grammar-based [e.g. Wheelocks, Dowling-method], reading-based [Latin for Reading, Ars Latinae], and Natural Method [Orberg]. I've played around a bit with Comprehensible Input.

Because I have so little time between job and family, the best time for me to study is while driving during my commute. So that means audio files. I'm a big fan of Metrodorus and his work, but I am trying to learn via Ecclesiastical pronunciation and there just aren't that many .mp3 files out there.

So I've been trying my hand at creating my own files with Audacity.

I'd love to connect with Ursinus. I saw his post where he said he recorded Comenius's Vestibulum (much like Metrodorus's version), but the OneDrive link says that the files are not there anymore.

I'm also interested in how I could use technology to improve my own learning and that of my kids. I love using the old school WORDS by William Whitaker (may his memory be a blessing). I'm also impressed by the work of digital classicists at Perseid and what Prof. Harrington is doing with tree-banking and resulting XML files tagged with morphology and syntactical data.

So enough about me. I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Hi. My introduction.

Post by bedwere » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:23 am

Welcome to Textkit!