I would like to learn Latin and Greek. But I really don't know which one should be first.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
apopetrus
Textkit Neophyte

I would like to learn Latin and Greek. But I really don't know which one should be first.

Post by apopetrus »

Hello friends.
Which one should be first and why?
İ like to be familiar with Classical and Koine Greek, but some say that it needs to start with Homeric Greek, why?
I'm 33, And I'm already speaking two inflected Languages (Turkish has 5 cases, and Kurdish 4) so what method will be ideal for me, and why?
Thank for your Help, my friends.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: I would like to learn Latin and Greek. But I really don't know which one should be first.

Post by seneca2008 »

Welcome to Textkit.

If you search the forum you will find that this topic has been discussed before.

In the Uk historically boys (girls were not really educated formally until the late 19c.) learned
Latin and a few years later started Greek. I guess they thought teach an inflected language in a familiar script before introducing the somewhat more apparently alien Greek. There is no need to follow this. Learn whichever interests you most. Motivation is the key factor.

To start with Attic or Homeric has also been well ventilated here. I learned Attic first and then read Homer which seemed quite simple after the complexities of Greek rhetoric and tragedy although the multiplicity of Homeric forms and vocabulary can appear daunting. Others start with Homer. I suppose it depends again on what interests you.

The important thing is to start and slowly keep plugging away. People here will be very happy to help you.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: I would like to learn Latin and Greek. But I really don't know which one should be first.

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit. I learned Latin in school in Italy and then Greek on my own. The traditional practice in Europe is to start with Latin first and then go to Greek. As for Greek,, you would start with Attic and the rest will follow.

apopetrus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by apopetrus »

Thank you so much, friends. Your help means a lot to me.