Webpage Redesign and Login Problems

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Webpage Redesign and Login Problems

Post by Aetos »

If anybody had login problems using Internet Explorer after the redesigned webpage went up last night (16 November 2018), I found that adding textkit.com to my compatibility view settings (Tools, Compatibility View Settings, Add) restored functionality.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Webpage Redesign and Login Problems

Post by bedwere »

With chrome clearing cache helped.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I changed the cookie store file in admin settings and this class of issue should now be cleared up. However, please continue to report any issues.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

It's probably staring me in the face (like the mayonnaise in the refrigerator I"m always telling my wife is not there), but I'm not seeing the 'view recent posts' option?

Randy

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

I see it now in Quick Links. Ok, I see the mayonnaise on the third shelf, but why's it stuck there in the back :lol: .

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I like the new look...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

Post by ἑκηβόλος »

Threads now display 10 posts at a time instead of 20 or 25 or 50 as they did before. The what's the weather like thread now has 322 pages instead of 67 or so as before.
τί δὲ ἀγαθὸν τῇ πομφόλυγι συνεστώσῃ ἢ κακὸν διαλυθείσῃ;

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I can't tell whether that is complaint, compliment, or observation.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

Post by ἑκηβόλος »

A reminder (based on my observation) that after upgrading to a new version of the phpbb many system settings return to their defaults.

Having a larger number of posts on display seems aesthetically like an invitation to participate in conversation more than the swaddled 10 post threads that are the default. For a reader, following the flow of a thread is much easier when there are more posts on view at the same time. From a bandwidth consideration, less posts is cheaper.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

50 is the default. I changed it to 10 because I couldn't remember what we had on the last board, and 50 was too long for threads with serious posts.

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

FWIW,

New site page design looks good! (Of course, I'm already nostalgic for the old one :roll: ).
Coming from Windows 10 & MS Edge; Login was recalled no issues, PMs ported over no probs.

Site navigation is seemless but this line shows only minor issue I could find. After I put the period
at "no probs" and pushed "Enter" above it dropped to the next line but as soon as I entered anything ("Site",...)
it dropped down again as you see above. It did it again after I pushed enter a 2nd time but allowed correction by edit.
It seems to see a partial length line followed by enter as a indent/para command. Not a big deal.

Cathexis
Romani ite Domum

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

Is there a Mark All Read button?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I can’t seem to reproduce Cathexis’ problem. What OS/browser are you using?

Anphph - check out Quick Links on the upper left.

I wouldn’t have changed the forum design for the phpbb upgrade if I could have helped it, but the old design was hand-coded in the CSS and couldn’t be ported over easily. There were a number of security issues with the old site, and we were well past time to upgrade.

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

Hey guy,

As in my original reply, I'm using Windows 10 and MS Edge. Let me try to replicate the problem,

There! Did it again. After the comma above I hit enter to go to new line, it does. But once anything is

entered it drops another line on it's own. Which it just did again. I can correct in Preview/Edit screen.

Andrew
Romani ite Domum

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

Hey guy,

I could suggest a solution drawn from Antiquity:
Convince Bill Gates he has been invited to the House of Asterion. After he enters, proceed deep, deep into
its very center. There he will meet someone who will grant him just what he deserves.

FWIW,
Andrew
Romani ite Domum

ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

Post by ἑκηβόλος »

Notifications is a new feature. Is there a way for me to turn off or set preferences for notifications?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Click Notifications, and then settings.

ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

Post by ἑκηβόλος »

Last week I could edit my older posts. Today, I don't have that option.

Restricting the editing of a user's older posts has (at least) four effects.

First, it shifts control of intellectual property rights from the individual (user) to the board (administrators). Taking control of knowledge out of the hands of people is undemocratic and increasing the gap in privilages between various groups within a community creates a society with greater disparity between classes. Second, it restricts posts on an aspect of a topic to a point in time, rather than a point of knowledge. Recantion, elaboration, rethinking are a part of the development of ideas. Third, the fluid nature of the internet means that links are often changing (broken) and need to be kept up to date. Fourth, it does not allow for cosmetic improvements in the presentation of material. For some people, spelling and correct grammar are a precondition for considering the ideas of others, and pandering to such foibles sometimes requires touching up minor mistakes.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Nothing has changed. You have, as has been the case for some time, 48 hours to edit or delete posts, which is usually enough for typos. The difficulty with making the window unlimited is that every now and then, someone goes in and deletes all of their posts from a thread, turning everyone else's replies and work there into nonsense. If you need to update a link, ping a moderator. Or even reply to the thread with an updated link. If there is some other problem, also ping a moderator, and it will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Textkit has no class, governmental, or social, aspirations that I'm aware of.