Introduction

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
marcovlatinforum
Textkit Neophyte

Introduction

Post by marcovlatinforum »

Salvete.
First of all, I apologize for my bad English.

I'm an Italian guy with some interest in the learning of classics and, at the moment, especially in the Latin language. My attentions to Latin may also include (but as said in the line above, are not limited to) some (philosophical) texts form XVII/XVIII century, including Descartes and many others. The language for me is more like a "tool": I'm not interested in dealing with "philology" issues at the present time, which I think are better reserved for later.

I've studied and I'm still studying Latin language in an Italian high school (what is here called "licèo") starting from basic grammar up to the translation of small pieces of the most common literature (mostly Caesar), always by following the traditional "top-down" approach: the "abstract" grammar first, then concrete application of the rules in the translation. I have to admit that my knowledge of the language is pretty small and fragmentary, being studying it for a small time.

I'm happy to be in this community, even if the language makes me feel a little bit "not at home" (while this actually is not a problem when writing about mathematics, humanities require a more enlarged dictionary and bigger grammar skills to get properly discussed).
Last edited by marcovlatinforum on Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Introduction

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit, Marco. I'm an Italian expatriate.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

And let me add that your English is much better than most Americans' Italian (certainly better than mine!).
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

marcovlatinforum
Textkit Neophyte

Post by marcovlatinforum »

Thank you!