Salvate, y'all

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
DoomedIntellect
Textkit Neophyte

Salvate, y'all

Post by DoomedIntellect »

This is my introductory post, after which, I plan to listen twice and speak once, if even then, until I become mor familiar

So, My name is Michael, and I a first semester student at Holy Apostles College and Seminary (in Cromwell, CT) in the online M.A. Philosophy program, with a concentration in Christian Wisdom, currently living in metro-Atlanta. I am interested for personal and professional reasons in (re)acquiring a reading knowledge of two of the foundational languages of modern Western Civilization, but my ambitions are so much more. As a student of philosophy at a Catholic college, I will be working closely with the work of St. Thomas Aquinas, and prefer to be able to refer to it -and read it- in the original Latin, thus I need a working knowledge of Church/Ecclesiastical Latin as well, and then there is Hebrew (and to a lesser extent Arabic, and written Chinese -though these last are so far beyond the scope of this board that I mention them only for the sake of being complete).

My background in Latin and Greek includes two years of Latin in High School, and a year of Koine/Biblical Greek in college, though most of that formation has been lost due to non-use. I currently possess (alongside a bevy of Japanese grammar and kanji recognition books) Ralph McInerny's Let's Read Latin, and the more modern grammar book Latin Made Easy, and a book that parses all the words of the Greek New Testament. I also have a copy of the Septuagint, and the complete English translation of Kittel's Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (for some reason I simply love word studies and think everyone else should to).

As well I have my eyes on Zondervan's Basics of Biblical Greek: book, workbook, and vocabulary cards, (already possessing the Basics of Biblical Hebrew book and workbook, along with the Basics of Ancient Ugaritic) and Basics of Classical Aramaic and Basics of Classical Syriac -which is a long excursion designed to demonstrate that I have a love and a longing to read sources in original languages.

In addition I plan to subscribe to Loeb Classical Library's online service to supplement my meager LCL print volumes, and I use the online "Latin Library" as a copybook to practice writing sentences when I am able. I hope to have this working knowledge of at least Latin by the time I graduate with my Masters' in four years time.

I look forward to learning (and helping when possible) my seniors in the forum

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Salvate, y'all

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit, Michael!