Useful Latin phrases for Internet forums

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
FlatAssembler
Textkit Member

Useful Latin phrases for Internet forums

Post by FlatAssembler »

Hey, folks! Do you sometimes use Latin phrases on the Internet forums to shut up people who say you are stupid? I sometimes do, because when I argue for vegetarianism or anarchism on the Internet forums, I often get ad-hominem attacks.

So, here are some such phrases:
1) Stulti semper sic statuuntur, quae non intellegunt, aspernantur et abutuntur.
I use it when somebody says to me something like "Dude, nothing you say makes any sense.". It's a literal translation of the Croatian phrase "Budale uvijek tako sude, što ne shvaćaju, preziru i kude.". Accidentally, it also rhymes in Latin.
2) Tuum id dicere, id non facit.
Essentially, I use it when somebody makes a prediction without substantiating it. You know, like "If we don't eat animals, they are going to get over us." or "Without a government, everyone would be shooting people around.". I also use it when somebody says to me something like "You are the dumbest person I've ever met, you won't survive in real life.".
3) Democratia merus modus condemnandi cives de rebus quas imperia fecerunt est.
I use it when somebody says to me something like "Look, if everyone thinks you are wrong, don't you think you maybe are wrong?".

Plus, if somebody says he also knows Latin, ask him to translate "Heroes are never forgotten." to Latin. That takes a little thought, doesn't it?
Another good thing about those phrases is that people can probably understand them using Google Translate (I've tried them in it). So, do you have some similar phrases?

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Useful Latin phrases for Internet forums

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I really shouldn't, but this is a moth to flame thing.

Qui hermeneumate de Google uti conantur hermeneumate de Google morientur.

Nothing shows how smart you are than by quoting really bad Latin.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Nothing shows how smart you are than by quoting really bad Latin.
Well, you could always tattoo it on you. That would beat it. Whenever people post in here asking for a tattoo quote, I always have the temptation of giving them something totally unrelated and outrageous.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

bedwere wrote: Well, you could always tattoo it on you. That would beat it. Whenever people post in here asking for a tattoo quote, I always have the temptation of giving them something totally unrelated and outrageous.
And I thought I was the only one to suffer that temptation! Still, heroas nostros numquam obliti sumus...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...