Introduction of myself, Nancy,studying whites First Greek B

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Nancy
Textkit Neophyte

Introduction of myself, Nancy,studying whites First Greek B

Post by Nancy »

Hi, I just began using this system and I am quite new to chat rooms. I have been reading your messages and find them very helpful. I am from Toronto Canada, in my early 60's and I was first introduced to First Greek Book by White by my highschool teacher Mr.Lorne Smith. Over the years I have tried to study and often very frustrated by not remembering everything. One thing I have learned and that is in mastering the alphabet and the mutes it often works if I see each greek letter and think of it as its greek name ie 'e' epsilon.<br />I also like to review the complete alphabet, consonants etc every third or fourth day.<br />It is great to find help and encouragement from this forum.<br />p.s. I'm the one who posted the 'omicron' question that almost landed in limbo and thanks to Mariek who rescued it and to all who responded.<br />Any idea how the translation to the 'key to Whites 1st Greek Book is coming?

Raya
Textkit Fan

Re:Introduction of myself, Nancy,studying whites First Gree

Post by Raya »

Hi there, and welcome!<br /><br />Actually, these are not chat rooms but forums - they work a little differently. In a chat room, you hold typed conversations in real-time with people who are online at the same time as you; here, you post messages on your own time, which people respond to in their own time.<br /><br />Make sure you check out the different boards: the Academy is for debate; the Agora is for trying out chat in Greek and Latin; the Open Board (here) is where you meet people and chat about anything not related to learning the classical languages.<br /><br />Enjoy your time here, and don't hesitate to get in touch with me if you need help using the system!<br /><br />All the best,<br />~(* Raya

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Welcome to Textkit Nancy! I hope you enjoy your visit here. Don't forget to check out the Greek downloads. Click on "Learn Ancient Greek" above.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Welcome to Textkit, Nancy! I"m studying both Latin and Greek, and I'm using Mr. White's First Greek Book, too, although I'm not very far along in it yet! Perhaps we'll be able to help each other. <br /><br />It's my first forum, too. (I'm not allowed in chat rooms.) At first it's rather a strange feeling, to know that people all over the world are going to be reading what you're saying, but once I got used to it, it's really neat! (In fact, I have the fourth most posts on the board, as Benissimus is quick to remind me.) :) Textkit is a wonderful place for students of Classical Greek and Latin, and the forum is a delightful, helpful, friendly, polite place. I hope you'll feel right at home. (The omicron discussion was quite fascinating, by the way-thanks for starting it!)<br /><br />Welcome to Textkit! <br /><br />Keesa

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Welcome :)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Welcome to Textkit Nancy! <br />Hope this forum helpd you with your study of the greek language :)

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Welcome Nancy and best of luck with your Greek studies. You are in good hands here should you require any assistance. :)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Welcome, Nancy!<br />If you need more stimulation, you an look around and see the young members. I feel far behind the progress whenever I get in this forum. ;D

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=680;start=0#6441 date=1064235546]<br />It's my first forum, too. (I'm not allowed in chat rooms.) <br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />That's unfortunate... I've met some of my dearest and best friends in chat rooms, and have had wonderful fun in the process.<br /><br />Welcome here, Nancy, fellow Canadian! It's too bad you are on the other end of the country (I'm in Edmonton) or we could get together to study greek...<br /><br />I spent my 24th birthday dinner at the CN tower, on my first visit ever to TO last year! (by the way, the boy buying my dinner that night is my best guy friend, who I met in a chat room 7 years ago ;) It was a wonderful meal and we enjoyed watching the sun set over lake ontario. Unfortunately while we were there someone smashed into our rental car and stole a bunch of stuff.. . so our brief stay in TO was bitter-sweet!<br /><br />Do you live right in the city?<br />
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Nancy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nancy »

Hi, Its great to hear from you. I have always lived in Toronto<br />So did my Mom And Dad, and My mon's parents moved to <br />toronto in their mid twenties.. So Ive seen a lot of changes.<br /><br />I;ve been using the key to White's Greek Book, and I noticed<br />a few errors in that translation. I don't know if I'm suppose to notify anyone or not. Probably they have already been<br />informed.<br />Its nice to hear from someone in a different part of our great<br />land. I was in Edmonton once, and I was surprised at how flat it was. We had just come over the rockies from B.C.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

My home is in Pickering (30 mins or so east of Toronto for those that don't know) though right now I'm based out of Kingston for school.<br /><br />What made you decide to pick up (or re-learn?) Greek?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Oh Nancy, if you ever see any errors, you should certainly notify someone. This community is not that big, so errors can be overlooked at times.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

edmonton flat?? :o<br /><br />I suppose the land is fairly flat here, but it never seems that way to me since we have such deep river gorges breaking up the city so I am always driving up and down hills and over bridges and stuff. :P<br /><br />If you think *this* is flat, check out saskatchewan or manitoba sometime! lol<br /><br />
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Nancy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nancy »

to MDS. Question of What made me pick-up and re-learn Greek.<br />Well the older you get, the more memory escapes you.<br />I find that the challenge of learning a completely different alphabet, grammar, accents etc very stimulating as it really forces the old brain cells to work.<br />Also I have written and published a book Myth Ritual and<br />Dance, Volume 1 Egypt which is in some libraries throughout<br />Ontario, andI am working on the 2cnd volume in on Greece and Rome.<br />I was looking back at my ancient Greek and looking for<br />Fonts etc, and then finally bregan in earnest on my Greek<br />Studies.