Greek or Latin affinity?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
cohomology
Textkit Neophyte

Greek or Latin affinity?

Post by cohomology »

First off, sorry if this is the wrong board for this.
So I was thinking today about how Greek and Latin seem to be different in character. Kind of how there are dog people and cat people, or emacs users and vi users. Something about one's personality that reflects in one's taste.
Often I've seen the Roman referred to as "square" or "legalistic", while the greek were more concerned with beauty and idealistic, with an eye on proportion, and so on.
I know some people here study both languages, but I'm guessing even those would have a preferrence.
I wanted to know your opinion on this, and of course, if you see that reflected in yourself.
I'm partly asking because I'm not really interested in greek as I am in latin, but being an aspiring mathematician, I should, right? Euclid was greek after all. I'm mostly interested in Latin because it seems like a sort of "modern" ancient society (meaning that our society seems to reflect Roman culture a lot)

dlb
Textkit Member

Re: Greek or Latin affinity?

Post by dlb »

I am horrible with anything other than 'English-like' letters - symbols throw me for a loop, so I like Latin.
Besides, I have a great appreciation for the Roman culture.

"Often I've seen the Roman referred to as "square" or "legalistic", while the Greek were more concerned with beauty and idealistic, with an eye on proportion, and so on."
I am somewhat legalistic, very square (according to my kids) but I am an artist - go figure.
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Greek or Latin affinity?

Post by mwh »

A graduate student with much experience of both Greek and Latin teachers put it this way: Hellenists are just good people.