Re-Organizing the Forums

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
daivid
Administrator

Re: Re-Organizing the Forums

Post by daivid » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:34 pm

Paul Derouda wrote:The polls have run for 7 days now – shall we just accept the names that got most support or does someone wish to protest?

Perhaps "Greek Textbooks and Study Groups", adding the word "Greek" clarity?

We should rewrite the blurbs too.
I have made the three changes that have clear support. I followed your suggestion of adding Greek to Textbooks and Study Groups as I think that will be considered uncontroversial - if I'm wrong please let me know by posting here. It might be a good idea to have a Latin version which would be easy enough to do.

I also have had to change the description. I shall keep a look out for any posts with suggestions for changes of the descriptions as I am sure they can be improved.
λονδον

swtwentyman
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swtwentyman » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:36 am

The changes are good, but the blurbs can be a bit dry and wordy -- the description of "Greek Textbooks & Study Groups" would be better served in a sticky and the mention of Sappho etc. in the Homeric Greek blurb is at best stilted and at worst pedantic. I'd think "early Greek poetry" implies their inclusion, and if you're at the level where you're reading Sappho you won't need the signpost. As placeholders until the blurbs can get refined they're fine.

The Latin forums will be more of a mess. The Wheelock's board includes help with the two "graduate" sets of readings in the back: the Loci Antiqui (adapted) and Loci Immutati (unadapted). D'Ooge would be the natural choice to turn into a Textbooks/Study Groups forum but the Wheelock's forum serves a purpose in that aid for readings which do not have an answer key. But this has probably all been said before.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:19 am

Thanks Paul, daivid, and all. I look forward to seeing the blurbs, which I think are important.

Michael

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:12 pm

Ok, I wrote draft versions for more concise blurbs. Y'all native English speakers, please improve. Do not post these before comments and improvements!

Learning Greek (and similarly for Latin, I suppose?)
"Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more."

Greek Textbooks and Study Groups
"Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first."

Homeric Greek and Early Greek Poetry (Capitalize Early and Poetry for Harmony!)
"Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Beside Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry."

Koine and Biblical Greek
"Are you learning Koine Greek, the dialect of the New Testament? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more."

For Latin, perhaps we don't need a specific Textbooks and Study Groups forum, as there are three Textbook forums already? But this question is up to folks who actually follow Latin forums...

Another thing about future policy: We're certainly not going to start moving old threads from one forum to another en masse. But if I, or some other mod, notice say an old Sappho or Hesiod thread under Learning Greek, is it a good idea to move it under the new Homer forum? Or is it best to leave everything in its old place?

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:23 pm

Shouldn't we move "Second Year Latin in PDF format" under "Topics" under "Composition, Discussions & Debate" under an appropriate Latin forum (as a sticky?), and be done with those "topics"?

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:15 am

Thanks for the revised blurbs Paul. Just a couple of suggestions.
Learning Greek (and similarly for Latin, I suppose?)
"Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more."
Add at end: “For Homer and other early Greek you can use that forum.”
Koine and Biblical Greek
"Are you learning Koine Greek, the dialect of the New Testament? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more."
To “the dialect of the New Testament” add “and of most other post-classical Greek texts.”
And I’m not altogether happy with “dialect.” Substitute “Greek”?

Shifting existing threads to now more appropriate forums might be worth while if they’re likely to be followed up. Otherwise I wouldn’t bother. We could perhaps add a note somewhere recording the date of the title changes if we think users are likely to be confused by the existing threads in now less appropriate forums, but again, is it really necessary? New users seem often not to bother reading previous posts even in the same thread. Few take up any but the most recent posts.

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:43 pm

mwh wrote: Learning Greek (and similarly for Latin, I suppose?)
Add at end: “For Homer and other early Greek you can use that forum.”
I don't know if it's worth the trouble; we'd also need to mention the existence of the Koine forum. It'll just make the blurb not so concise any more. Doesn't the mere existence of those forums mean that they should be used? Besides, there's so many of us mods now that it if a new member started a new thread in the wrong forum, we can just move it.

Ok, is everybody happy with this?
"Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more."
Somehow I suspect that this forum will continue to be focused on the New Testament (which is fine, since clearly there's a demand for that) and not on erotic novels from the beginning of the Christian era...

We might add a parenthesis at the end of the altered blurbs, like "(formerly called "Koine Greek and Mounce's Basics of Biblical")". But I suspect that this just adds to the confusion of the new user. I think this change could be mentioned in a sticky post in each forum and that's it.

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:41 am

Well, if nobody proposes improvements, I suppose we can change the blurbs then:

Learning Greek

Greek Textbooks and Study Groups
"Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first."

Homeric Greek and Early Greek Poetry (Capitalize for Harmony!)
"Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Beside Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry."

Koine and Biblical Greek
"Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more."

Learning Latin
"Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more."

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:11 pm

I can't change these myself; if there are no further modifications, could an admin make the changes?

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:57 pm

All should be as above now. Let me know if I messed anything up! Ed
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:27 pm

How about the names of Latin forums and their blurbs? Will they be updated in the same vein as Greek ones?

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:04 pm

The problem with the Latin forums is that to my knowledge we haven't found any good solution we can agree on. Besides, the individual textbook forums on the Latin side seem to attract more traffic than the White forum on the Greek side.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:06 pm

I'm going to make the unorthodox suggestion that at least the Latin forums all be condensed into one--no distinctions for different text books. This is just based on my experience with other forums, where I find that the more active a board is the better. I don't think Textkit has an overwhelming number of posts and topics, so there isn't a real risk of threads getting drowned out. Plus, I think the forums will thrive best when people are all in the same place, seeing the same topics, and maximizing interactions. With so many textbooks and learning methods out there, I don't see the need to break them down by individual textbooks. if someone has a question, let them ask, regardless of the book.

If you really want to keep discussions separate, we could have stickied threads for the main textbooks at the top of the Latin forum. People with a Wheelock specific question could post in that thread, for example.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:26 pm

Or maybe condense the 3 textbook forums into one "Latin Textbooks and Study Groups"? That would make two Latin forums, if we keep "Learning Latin".

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:11 pm

Paul Derouda wrote:Or maybe condense the 3 textbook forums into one "Latin Textbooks and Study Groups"? That would make two Latin forums, if we keep "Learning Latin".
I agree with Paul.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:14 pm

Yes, I think that Theasaurus' option might be a bit too radical. I'm loath to make too big a change to the Latin section since I have been informed that a) Wheelock's is the most popular course in the US and b) M&F's is used a lot for intensive summer schools.

If anything, Do'Oge's is the weak link here. I would like that to be changed into the Latin analogue of the Greek textbook/study groups thing. The others, I think, ought to stay as they are. At the very least I can conceive of no harm from being cautious.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:26 pm

Paul's suggestion seems to me to be a good solution. Latin has obviously very little dialectal variation as opposed to Greek, and—as laudable as that would be—Archaic Latin hardly legitimates its own subforum. Division could, though, be made into Classical Latin, Mediaeval Latin, Renaissance Latin and Modern Latin, if wanted. It may not be a necessity but worth being reflected upon.