List of Classics Resources (Online)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Scribo
Global Moderator

List of Classics Resources (Online)

Post by Scribo »

http://classicsresources.info/ Is making the rounds currently and may be of interest to many here. You'll notice that we, of course, are listed. :lol: 8)

I am still working on my annotated and tailored resource lists for both languages, but as you can imagine this is more than a little useful.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: List of Classics Resources (Online)

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Thank you, Scribo, for this hint. I had not heard of it before. Some of these are really interesting, for example the map at Pelagios.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

Scribo wrote:http://classicsresources.info/ Is making the rounds currently and may be of interest to many here. You'll notice that we, of course, are listed. :lol: 8) .
I notice too that we are listed there because of the downloadable books not for the forum. It is likely that new members initially find us because of the books even if they may stay because of the forum.
λονδον

Toby
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Toby »

@Daivid: In a representative survey of one new user (me), it turned out that a hundred percent of respondents searched for a Forum, not the books. Am I old-fashioned to prefer my books on paper?

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

Toby wrote:@Daivid: In a representative survey of one new user (me), it turned out that a hundred percent of respondents searched for a Forum, not the books. Am I old-fashioned to prefer my books on paper?
The forum is probably now the most important thing that textkit provides. I was merely suggesting that the role of downloadable books should not be totally disregarded. For one thing, if people link to the books then we go up in the search engines and that helps people looking for the forum too.
λονδον

Karkaett
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Karkaett »

Thanks for this great list.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

A cutting-edge resource that will be of interest to many now and to many more in the future is the Classical Language Toolkit, cltk.org.

It's a big project, with its goals described as:
compile analysis-friendly corpora in a variety of Classical languages (currently available for Chinese, Coptic, Greek, Latin, and Pali);
gather, improve, and generate linguistic data required for NLP (Greek and Latin are in progress, with more in the pipeline);
develop a free and open platform for generating reproducible, scientific research that advances the study of the languages and literatures of the ancient world.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

A description of the Greek tools for the project are here: https://github.com/cltk/cltk/blob/master/docs/greek.rst
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

bcdavasconcelos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bcdavasconcelos »

jeidsath wrote:A description of the Greek tools for the project are here: https://github.com/cltk/cltk/blob/master/docs/greek.rst
Could you translate what all of those lines of code mean for us in terms of actual tools and and resources for the text and reading greek?
ζητοῦσι δ' ὅλως οὐ τὸ πάτριον ἀλλὰ τἀγαθὸν πάντες (Pol. II.8 1269a3)

brainout
Textkit Neophyte

Post by brainout »

I spent over a year searching for Latin and Greek texts to create a syllabus of contemporary Greek and Latin writers for a piece I was doing on Ephesians 1:3-14 (showing how Paul METERS his text). My focus was historical stuff like Tacitus, Pliny, A.Victor, etc. (even though we all have the Annals, carrying it around is cumbersome). The FASTI is really important, too.

Unfortunately, as a nubie to this forum I am not yet allowed to provide you a link to that syllabus, but if you search on my name and "Ephesians 1:3-14" and "ChronoChart" you'll find it. The ChronoChart 1st page IS the syllabus, a bunch of links all over the web. For particular Emperors and writers, links are interspersed thereafter.

In short, it's not the 'classics' in literature, but in history. The thing is 150 pages long, and I made videos showing it. You will be bored watching them, so just use the 'ChronoChart' links instead. NONE of that stuff is related to me. Most are links at universities or well-respected sites.

As for Greek classics, Perseus at Tufts is bar-none the easiest to use. I forget the name of the central Latin one, but it will be in the above syllabus. These are comprehensive collections, btw.

Hope this helps, yell at me if it doesn't. Studying Ancient Rome is CRUCIAL. Bible can't be understood, else.