My little introduction

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Hampie
Textkit Member

My little introduction

Post by Hampie »

I guess it is common practise to make one of theese, so I will do one too.

I am 17 years old, and most of my interesst lies in history and languages (dead ones to my friends' and family's astonishment). In the future I hope to study such languages as Ancient egyptian, Akkadian, Old Norse and Tibetan (the list could be made longer) and even more hopfullier work with it (I am aiming to be a don or a scholar). But I will start with Latin, since it is also on my list and probably the one easiest to find good study resourses in and help with!

I am living in the little cucumber shaped kingdom of Sweden, and currently attending the Swedish counterpart for what my dictionary grammar school or high scool. Intressting note: it is called gymnasium in Swedish! I will take a course in Latin for next term. "Latin A" it is called and it is suposed to be 100 hours techer lead lessons; I wonder how far I will reach. I hope I will find it amusing!

Currently the Latin I know is limited to a few phrases I caught in a book I read in the library. Puer per domum ambulat. Puella patrem salutat. Servus et serva laborant. And for a poster I worked for hours with a mini-grammar in the back of a popular science book about Latin and an online dictinary to form "Studete linguae latinae". It was supposed to be "Study latin".

Altough my biggest intresst is in the historical languages I also study modern ones, which are at the time being Japanese and German (but I am at beginner level in both). I did not count English since I think I am at advanced level in it.

Hmm, I guess my presentation is not so little, anyhow I am going to grab a snack now.

Auf wiedersehen!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Welcome, Hampie!

I'm interested in learning Old Norse as well, but I'd rather learn Swedish! I intend to live there some day. I've heard that it's hard for English speakers to practice their Swedish because all the Swedes want to practice their excellent English.

I've been known to enjoy plattar from time to time (those are little tasty pancakes right?).

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Welcome! I hope to see Greek on your list as well someday. :)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Welcome to Textkit!

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Χαί?ε τε et Salve!
(Hello, and also Hello!)

We are both in the same age range, myself being a newly-minted 18-year old.

I ditto the suggestion for Greek, but heck, it's your life, do what you want. When I am comfortable in Ancient Greek, I'm considering studying Hebrew, Old English/Old Norse (they're so similar, if I bother to learn one I will probably bother to learn the other), and maybe Latin, but I have way to many things to do in my life to learn a zillion languages. I'm going to stick to knowing a few good ones well. I also am more interested in ancient languages than modern languages - why read the banal thoughts of people alive now when you can read cool stuff written by people older than your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother.

Anywho, welcome to the Textkit family!

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

Hi Hampie...

Welcome! You've come to the right place! I've wanted to pick up Middle-Kingdom Egyptian as well...I've also done a little work in grad school with Neo-Babylonian Akkadian...fun languages indeed.

Best,
Chris
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: My little introduction

Post by annis »

Hampie wrote:In the future I hope to study such languages as Ancient egyptian, Akkadian, Old Norse and Tibetan (the list could be made longer)
You'll fit right in. Don't forget Coptic!
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Fabiola
Textkit Member

Post by Fabiola »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:why read the banal thoughts of people alive now when you can read cool stuff written by people older than your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother.
Right on! :)

Welcome, Hampie! I know you'll love it here- everyone is very helpful!