ohhh, it's been so long!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
klewlis
Global Moderator

ohhh, it's been so long!

Post by klewlis »

It has been years since I visited here... and years since I picked up any of my language books.

But I moved a few days ago and last night as I was unpacking my books I was overtaken by a desire to get back into my languages, and to read all of these beautiful little books that I have in my possession but that I haven't read.

Seems that most of the "old guard" have also gone other ways, so I'm not sure if any of you will remember me!

In any case, I studied mostly koine and a bit of latin in college (a lifetime ago!) and I have some hebrew and attic greek materials as well.

I want to start building these habits and skills again, but it will be a long journey back to any sort of competence.

Rather than go directly back to koine, I think I will start with Athenaze since I bought it years ago and have not used it yet, and gives me more reading options. For Latin, probably readers since I have lots of those and do not feel like doing Wheelock again! But we'll see.

Most importantly I need to start dedicating time every day/week to this.

Looking forward to getting to know the "new" faces around here. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re: ohhh, it's been so long!

Post by klewlis »

also I need to shut down the computer in order to eliminate distraction! lol
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi klewlis, i still remember you, welcome back! :) yep most of us who were around from the beginning have gone, but the forum is going just as strongly because the new guys leading the discussions are really good and have the same spirit of helping.

i wonder what the old guard are doing nowadays, i know some have moved into classics academia (e.g. whiteoctave is now lecturer at cambridge and is editing the new lucretius OCT) and i follow the blogs of some, but for the others i wonder...

cheers, chad

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

thanks for the welcome, chad!

I am gradually trying to get back into things. Surprised at how much vocab I still remember after all these years.

And I have discovered anki flashcards... should be really helpful!

I will need to work on re-learning verb forms, for both languages.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Nice to see you again.
Welcome back.
I was absent from this forum for a long time myself. It just occurred to me to visit here, and I thought it would be hard to recognize many people, and voila! You be back, too! So glad to see you. :D