Salvete et Khairete

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Hu

Salvete et Khairete

Post by Hu »

Hello everyone. This is just a standard introductory thread, so a bit about myself:

I'm a soon-to-be sophomore mechanical engineering major at the University of Maryland Baltimore County with an interest in the classics and history. I took three years of Latin in high school, then Intermediate Latin last year for my language requirement. I also took Latin lyric poetry this last semester.

I found Textkit a while ago, while exhaustively searching the web for information about Latin and Greek, but never actually registered until recently. It's a great forum you have here - it was here that I discovered Lingua Latina, which I'm currently using to complete my Latin education (I'm on Pars II, Capitulum XXXVI). It isn't perfect, but I owe a lot to it and its method.

I'm also learning Greek from Clyde Pharr's book (on lesson XXV), and I have to say that the Homer-first approach has a lot going for it- the Ilias is simply amazing in the original.

Lastly, I'm starting a Latin-language conversation club at my school this fall. We already have a few students and two professors from the Ancient Studies department involved, and I'm quite excited to bringing Latin back to life with them.

Farewell!

Edit: Changed "Khaire" in the title to "Khairete"
Edit 2: misspelled "sophomore"
Last edited by Hu on Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Welcome to Textkit! That Latin conversation club sounds like fun!

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Greetings, Hu! It sounds like you and I have taken parallel courses. I've also begun a Latin conversation club at my school, and I congratulate you on your efforts and achievements. Hopefully someday we'll have the chance to collaborate.

Vale atque uale!
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Hello! With effort and little luck, you may finish reading the entire unabridged Ilias in Greek in two years ;)

LatinBookjunky
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LatinBookjunky »

Salve!

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

with little luck, or with a little luck, GGG?

The meaning changes a little (or does it change little?)

David

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

δι’ολίγου δή!
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS