Rolling Textkit over to Version 3

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Rolling Textkit over to Version 3

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Everyone,

I have spent the day updating the site. This is the third major revision of the Textkit site since 2002.

I began this back in December and I have been chopping away at it here and there in bursts of work. Things wil mostly look the same, but the database has been totally rebuilt from the ground up. This will accomodate better features for finding and organizing the library.

There's still so much work to do. Where I'm at now is migrating old pages into the new template. Once this is complete I can then finish up developing some of the newer features and ideas. You can see some of them now. On the Greek and Latin pages you'll see that the books are organized better. There's also an A-Z directory. Soon there will be search features.

In the meantime, you´ll notice quite a few empty pages and broken links as I make my way through all the pages of the site.

Thanks,
jeff
Textkit Founder

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Wow Jeff.....real nice. The pages that are up look terrific! I really like the layout on the learn Greek and learn Latin pages. Much cleaner and easier to navigate.

I know that I am not alone when I thank you for this wonderful site and community that you have developed. It has enriched the lives of many.

Thanks,

--Matt

Ciraric
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ciraric »

The changes are wonderful.

But the vocab quiz I get by email don't work anymore.

camomiletea
Textkit Neophyte

Post by camomiletea »

I also had problems with the quiz link I just received; additionally I'm unable to change my preferences for vocabulary. I just started this, and decided to receive the email once a week for a try and now feel that's too long.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

On the vocabulary tool...mine now seems to be quizzing me on all the words (not just the five per day). With 745 words, it makes for a pretty long test. Of course I had to just give up after the first couple of hundred.

Also, as the words were flying by, I happened to notice an apparent error: It lists domus, -i. f house (should be domus, -us, f. house). I'm on the Collar and Daniell list.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

thanks for hanging in there with all the changes. The vocabulary tool gave me unanticpated problems. I did not think that they scripting was going to fail when I rolled over the site, but come to find out - it did!

At this point, things 'should' be working. But I am concerned about your report that quizzes are showing all words, so I will look into that.

My first goal with this entire process is to just get things working as much as possible. After that, there is still much work that needs to be done.

Thanks,
jeff
Textkit Founder

camomiletea
Textkit Neophyte

Post by camomiletea »

I have the same problem with quiz, I think. I only got 10 words so far, and the word in the quiz that showed up (aufero, -ferre, abstuli, ablatus), wasn't one of the ten.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

jeff wrote:But I am concerned about your report that quizzes are showing all words, so I will look into that.
Whatever you did, it appears to have worked. I had a normal quiz today.

Thanks!
Ed
The lists:

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

The vocab quiz is still a bit off. For at least the past 4 days it has given me "aperio, -ire, aperui, apertus" as one of my five quiz words, while the other 4 have been different. I'm now getting that one right most of the time, but it seems like there's at least a little bug somewhere.
The lists:

camomiletea
Textkit Neophyte

Post by camomiletea »

The last four or five quizzes I took contained all the same words, no new ones...
aperio, -ire, aperui, apertus (correct answer open)
correct
gratus, -a, -um (correct answer pleasing)
correct
latus, -a, -um (correct answer wide)
correct
longus, -a, -um (correct answer long)
correct
magnus, -a, -um (correct answer large)
correct

camomiletea
Textkit Neophyte

Post by camomiletea »

Still having this problem, what should I do? Quit the course, and try again?
camomiletea wrote:The last four or five quizzes I took contained all the same words, no new ones...
aperio, -ire, aperui, apertus (correct answer open)
correct
gratus, -a, -um (correct answer pleasing)
correct
latus, -a, -um (correct answer wide)
correct
longus, -a, -um (correct answer long)
correct
magnus, -a, -um (correct answer large)
correct

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

yes, the quiz feature is pretty bonked. I fear i'm going to have to restart the subscriptions from scratch and upgrade the features.

I hired a developer for a full month to fix and totally upgrade the entire quiz script. Sadly, the work is pretty much useless and the project was a complete flop. I'm not sure what amount if any of the code I can use :-(
Textkit Founder