Lingua Britannica (Britanna? Anglica??)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Lingua Britannica (Britanna? Anglica??)

Post by nostos »

I was wondering if anyone knew of a book that teaches English on the same principles as Lingua Latina? I've searched the net but apparently Google in this case is not the answer :cry:

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

hmmm... I can try to find out. but nothing comes to mind.. i shall look.

-Jon

Brendan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Brendan »

What exactly are you looking for? Do you just mean a self-study, immersion-type course? Or do you mean something with the "ongoing story" format?

One thing to be aware of is that most prospective learners of English want to focus on developing their speaking and listening abilities as much as, if not more so than reading and writing. So stand-alone books (without, say, an accompanying CD or DVD) aren't that common anymore.

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

thanks Jon :)

Brendan, immersion is key, ongoing story too, with lots of repetition of words in different situations. As for speaking and listening, that can be taken care of with a couple of home-made recordings of the material in the book, and of course conversation, but I just want something that gives practice of those pesky irregular verbs in engaging format, and something that will teach how verbs are constructed well (eg, 'I had been counting on you'), and when to use 'much many very -est -er more [adjective]' etc. I think the only way to do this well is word by word (there are too many exceptions to the rule in English with '-er' and '-est' for example), with most frequent words coming at the very beginning and repeating throughout the work and so forth.

I would write one myself but that would be a major project requiring all of my attention, and almost all of my attention has been going into learning Latin. I know Lucius was writing a book that teaches Italian this way. In any case it is a helluva lot harder than it looks!

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

well, i couldn't find any thing quite the same as LL, but the good thing about english... its everywhere. so you could get what LL is trying to emulate. but fret not, even now I commence my search.

-Jon