SPQR Restaurant

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
cdm2003
Textkit Fan

SPQR Restaurant

Post by cdm2003 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:36 pm

When I was in school, there was a Chinese Restaurant about a mile off with an interesting name (at least interesting as far as Chinese Restaurants are named). Strangely enough, it was called the "SPQR Chinese Restaurant." One day, one of the members of the Classics Club purchased a full set of signage lettering off of the Internet. Late one Friday night, probably after drinking too much mixed wine, he used the letters to "announce" a change in menu items more suited to the Roman palette. I was lucky enough to get a picture before the lettering was taken down and the unnamed Classics Club member was hauled off to be fed to wild animals.

Deses
Textkit Fan

Re: SPQR Restaurant

Post by Deses » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:34 pm

cdm2003 wrote:and the unnamed Classics Club member was hauled off to be fed to wild animals.
Are you sure about that? I would not be surprised if that night the patrons complained about the unusual, almost Ciceronian, sweetness of the famed Chicken Bow Wow...
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:50 pm

I would eat there any day for the SPQR; however the menu looks quite unappealing, and I feel sorry for the poor bird with many livers :lol:

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:12 pm

Ok...help a pathetically new student of Latin....I think the sign reads something like:

Peculiar:
Livers of Sparrow
Feet of Dove
Pickled ??

I have no idea what FRICTI is. It is a truly funny sign though....I think I might have to add it to my funny collection of signs.....here is one of my favorites.....although it did get the PETA people pretty mad!!

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:59 pm

fricti means fried or roasted (4th princ. part of frigo); so we have a delicious array of roasted mice, livers of chaffinch (!), and feet of dove. My mouth is watering already! mmmh, mmmh!

:lol:

William
Textkit Fan

Re: SPQR Restaurant

Post by William » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:34 pm

cdm2003 wrote:...One day, one of the members of the Classics Club purchased a full set of signage lettering off of the Internet. Late one Friday night, probably after drinking too much mixed wine, he used the letters to "announce" a change in menu items more suited to the Roman palette...
THAT is hilarious! I love good pranks.

WB

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:51 pm

Garum has a very good parallel in Oriental cuisine.

Apparently, the Romans quite enjoyed sweet and sour combinations.
nostos wrote:roasted mice, livers of chaffinch (!), and feet of dove
I've never tried roasted mice, or chaffinch liver, but duck liver is quite popular, as well as whole dove (or pigeon).
phpbb