New Font

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

New Font

Post by Lucus Eques »

Love the new font, jeff! Very classy.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

do you really? You can thank Paul he sent me the snippet of stylesheet code for the message body class. still lots of things to get worked out here. With the support for Greek text and getting rid of those ??? everywhere.
Textkit Founder

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Awesome. :-)

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I second that.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ThomasGR »

I would like to point out, that the fonts would be nicer looking, if they were larger. Is it possible to increase the size of the letters by default? I have difficulties reading longer texts.

Talmid
Textkit Member

Post by Talmid »

ThomasGR wrote:I would like to point out, that the fonts would be nicer looking, if they were larger. Is it possible to increase the size of the letters by default? I have difficulties reading longer texts.
I second this.

Why is the text so tiny? Can anybody please fix the problem?

ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ThomasGR »

Also I want to add that MS exlorer is not able to make the letter look larger. Whatever arrangement I use, the letter size is the same. I think it's a severe problem.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

ThomasGR wrote:Also I want to add that MS exlorer is not able to make the letter look larger. Whatever arrangement I use, the letter size is the same. I think it's a severe problem.
Hi,

IE can't make the fontsize larger (View -> Text Size) because it is typically configured to honor the sizes defined by the web page itself.

You can change this as follows:

Tools -> Internet Options -> General

In bottom right corner of the General tab click on the 'Accessibility' button. Then check the box titled 'Ignore font sizes specified on web pages'. Then 'OK' your way out of the dialog. IE will now respond to View -> Text Size.

BTW: a similar technique exists for Firefox.

Ultimately, this issue will go away when Jeff adjusts the font-size attribute of the relevant CSS selectors.

Cordially,

Paul

Feles in silva
Textkit Member

Post by Feles in silva »

On a similar note, I noticed that some of my previous posts, which had accented Latin characters (I was writing in Portuguese) either don't show up any more (as in my signature), or on IE it is rendered as a Chinese character of some sort. Is there a special setting I should be using?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Looks nice. :) I like the smaller font size. Anyone with Mozilla Firefox can make it larger (or smaller) from View -> Text Size -> Increase/Decrease.

ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ThomasGR »

Now's better, though to confess my sins, smaller sizes are nicer :oops: but at least readable.

TADW_Elessar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TADW_Elessar »

mariek wrote:Looks nice. :) I like the smaller font size. Anyone with Mozilla Firefox can make it larger (or smaller) from View -> Text Size -> Increase/Decrease.
or simply with ctrl + mouse wheel :)

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

My only complaint might be the choice for the bold font -- very stark and not near as attractive as the normal or italicized type. Though that is a very minor complaint.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

TADW_Elessar wrote: or simply with ctrl + mouse wheel :)
Wicked cool! Your kung fu is better than mine...

tdominus
Textkit Member

resizable fonts

Post by tdominus »

Jeff/Paul:
Font sizes should be specified in ems, not pts or pixels. 1em being normal size, 0.5em being half-sized, and so on.

eg.

Code: Select all

font-size: 0.9em;
This way the browser will be able to resize them as normal.

ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ThomasGR »

The problem when increasing letter size is that the distance of the lines do not change (not enough?), so that letters often seem to overlap with the letters of previous lines.

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

Code: Select all

line-height: 1em;

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

I also think that the new font is too small, and it shows italics bent out of shape. Worst of all, it changes many characters for a question mark inside a black diamond, like that Spanish letter that looks like an N with a toupé: Ñ ñ.

Edit: When you highlight a word and press the italics button, the whole message gets italicized; to italicize just one word or phrase you have to type in the whole code. Mi eñes look good on this post; why doesn't Amadeus' signature show them properly? My post with apostrophes as breathing marks (the one with color scanning of Homer) appears with question marks instead of the apostrophes since the new font change.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I don't have any problems of that nature personally.

You use the italics button?

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

I agree with Bardo, many characters are rendered in little black diamonds with question marks (Firefox).

Btw, Bardo, thanks for caring about my signature. :D I just retyped my ñ and it appears to work now.
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.